Dec. 18, 2008
As I mentioned in my previous message about the budget planning process, I plan to keep you updated on discussions from the budget task force. The group met again Friday afternoon. Here’s a brief summary of what was discussed:
- We’ve received notice that our broad budget reduction outline (for FY 2009-10) needs to be submitted to the TBR by Dec. 22. TBR and THEC will then submit their reduction plans to Governor Bredesen by Dec. 29. This outline will contain dollar figures by functional unit and broad categories, so we will still have some time to make internal modifications.
- It appears TTU’s reduction will be between 20 and 25 percent of our total budget. While we can suggest additional tuition or fee increases, those rates are set by TBR and the legislature later in the year, so we won’t know how we will be affected until then.
- Campus reductions will be necessary. We have already asked campus units to begin discussing how they might address their reductions.
- We are reviewing options for a voluntary buyout package similar to that offered by the University of Memphis, but this is NOT FINAL. If we decide to recommend a voluntary buyout plan, it must first be approved by TBR and the governor’s office before it can be offered.
- The possibility of outsourcing some campus operations was also discussed, but more research must be done to review the viability of that option.
I will continue to keep you updated when I have more information. You are still welcome and encouraged to provide your input at http://website.tntech.edu/budgetsurvey. The task force and members of my Executive Advisory Committee will review the submissions made there.