- How do I register for a workshop? There are 3 easy registration options!
NOTE: Included in all workshop fees is a $50 non-refundable, non-transferable processing fee.
1) Call the Craft Center at 615-597-6801 or 931-372-3051 to register and pay your 50% deposit of the workshop fee via credit card (Visa, MasterCard, Discover or American Express are accepted).
2) Visit our website, download and print a Workshop Registration Form (PDF), complete the form, and fax it to 615.597.6803 or mail it to: Workshop Registration, Appalachian Center for Craft, 1560 Craft Center Drive, Smithville, TN 37166. 2012_Workshop_Registration_Form.pdf
Note: You will need Adobe Reader to open this form. For a free download of Adobe Reader, please click here.
3) Complete and mail the workshop registration form (in the printed workshop catalog) with your 50% deposit to the Craft Center at: Appalachian Center for Craft, 1560 Craft Center Drive, Smithville, TN 37166.
Mail to: Workshop Registration, Appalachian Center for Craft, 1560 Craft Center Drive, Smithville, TN 37166
Is there a minimum age requirement to take a workshop?
Yes. A person must be a minimum of 18 years of age to be eligible to take a workshop.
- Is it an option to attend only part of a workshop and have the fee pro-rated?
No. Workshop fees cannot be pro-rated due to faculty contracts, travel and materials acquisitions.
- If I’m on the Craft Center’s mailing list to receive workshop information, will the Craft Center share this information with anyone?
No. The Craft Center does not share or sell mailing lists.
WORKSHOP HOURS & CHECK-IN (All times listed are in the central time zone.)
- When are workshops available at the Craft Center?
A) Evening workshops: Spring and Fall clay workshops meet one night a week for eight weeks from 6-9pm.
B) Weekend workshops: Actual class times are Friday evening, 6:30-9:30pm; Saturday, 9am-5pm; and Sunday, 9am-2pm.
C) One-week workshops: Actual class times are Sunday evening, 6:30-9:30pm; Monday-Thursday, 9am-5pm; Friday, 9am-2pm.
- Where and when can I check-in for my workshop?
Check-in for your workshop in the main office of the Craft Center’s administration building.
A) For evening workshops, check-in is from 5-6pm on the first evening of the workshop.
B) For weekend workshops, check-in from 3-5pm on the Friday of the workshop. Class starts at 6:30pm that evening.
C) For one-week workshops, check-in is from 2-5pm on Sunday. Class starts at 6:30pm that evening.
- May I work in the studios after hours during my workshop?
A) Evening: participants should consult their instructors.
B) Weekend workshops: participants may work in the studios until 10:30pm at the discretion of the workshop instructor.
C) One-week: participants may work in the studios until 10:30pm at the discretion of their instructors. Studios close at 2pm on Friday and remain closed until 6:30pm on Sunday.
REFUNDS, DISCOUNTS & SCHOLARSHIPS
• What happens if I have to cancel my reservation in a workshop or want to transfer to another workshop?
If a participant cancels his/her workshop registration or wants to transfer to another workshop a minimum of 30 days prior to the first day of the workshop, the Craft Center can issue a refund or transfer the workshop deposit minus the $50 non-refundable, non-transferable processing fee. After that deadline, the Craft Center cannot issue refunds or process transfers.
If the Craft Center cancels a workshop, participants will be issued a full refund.
• Are any discounts available for workshop fees?
Yes. We offer two discount opportunities:
1. Participants 55 years of age and older receive a 10% discount off the Workshop Fee. Please inform the Craft Center of your eligibility to receive this discount when you register.
2. TTU employees and students can receive a 50% discount of the Workshop Fee for any workshop (when they enroll within 30 days prior to the start of a workshop with available seats).
• Does the Craft Center offer work-study or scholarships for workshops?
Yes, the Craft Center will offer a limited number of $250 scholarships for the one-week workshops for summer 2013 for those who qualify. These scholarships will be awarded on a competitive basis, and will only be granted to participants who enroll for one credit hour in one of the one-week workshops.
SUPPLIES & MATERIALS
• How do I find out what supplies and materials I need for a workshop?
We send confirmation packets to participants at least two weeks prior to the beginning of the workshop, either by email or by USPS. The packet contains a variety of information, including a detailed Materials List indicating the supplies you will need.
In some cases, workshop instructors will furnish some of the materials necessary for the workshop and charge participants a Materials Fee. These fees are published in the workshop brochures and on the web.
• If I have more questions about workshop class content or materials, whom should I contact?
You may contact the workshop instructor. Instructor contact information is published on our website within the workshop descriptions and in the catalog.
ROOM & BOARD
• Does the Craft Center offer housing and meals for workshop participants?
Yes! Housing is available for all workshop sessions. Also, a list of area lodging is provided in the workshop confirmation packets and is available on our website. The on-site Redbud Café is also open during all workshop sessions.
ROOM & BOARD RATES
Weekend workshops / $196
• 50% deposit / $98
• 2 nights / 6 meals
One-week / $490
• 50% deposit / $245
• 5 nights / 15 meals
Reservations & Deposits
• To reserve space in housing, a 50% deposit of the Room & Board fee is required.
• The balance of the Room & Board fee is due no later than 30 days prior to the first day of the workshop.
Due to limited availability, housing is on a first-come, first-served basis.
• What will my room/unit be like?
Bedrooms have two single beds, one large walk-in closet, desks, a bathroom w/ shower; also, complete set of linens and towels, pillows, and blankets; air conditioning. The cabin-like units have small back decks overlooking the woods and Center Hill Lake. There is a central living area shared by the rooms in a unit. Housing units have 2 or 4 bedrooms.
• What do I need to bring with me if I stay in housing during a summer workshop?
Things to bring: alarm clock, deak lamp, batteries, toiletries, personal items and/or medications that you may need during your stay. The nearest pharmacy or convenience store is 7 miles away in Smithville.
• May I stay in housing (pay only for housing) and not buy meals?
No. Room & Board is only sold as an inclusive package.
• If I stay “off-campus” or commute can I buy meals in the café?
Yes. For those staying off-campus/commuting, you can purchase meals a la carte from the on-site café.
• My friend (or spouse) and I are taking a workshop during the same session. Can we room together?
Yes. We accommodate roommate requests to the best of our ability. (There is a two people per room maximum.)
• Can my family/children/friends stay in my room with me if I pay the Room & Board fee for them?
No. Housing is limited to workshop participants and instructors only.
• Can I bring my pet?
Pets are not allowed on the grounds of the Craft Center.
- Are all the buildings air conditioned?
Yes. The housing units, studios, and buildings are air conditioned.
• Does the Craft Center have exercise facilities?
There are no indoor exercise facilities; however, we have four hiking trails of varying degrees of difficulty, a canoe, and swimming in Center Hill Lake.
• Does the Craft Center have laundry facilities for workshop participants?
Yes, the Craft Center has laundry facilities. Please bring your own laundry detergent, etc. Washers are $1.25 per load and dryers are free.
• May I camp or bring my RV to hook up at the Craft Center?
No, but there are several campgrounds and resorts close to the Craft Center that do offer RV hookups. Please see our Accomodations & Lodging page for more information.