Student Complaint: Policy and Procedure
Whenever possible, students are encouraged to seek an informal resolution of the matter directly with the faculty or other individual(s) involved. However, if an informal approach is neither successful nor advisable, the student may file a formal written complaint. You may review the complete policy document by clicking here.
- A student complaint form should be submitted "online" to the Dean of Students office. It should contain (at a minimum) the student’s name and official TTU email address, the date of the alleged conflict or action, a summary of the complaint, a list of other persons who may provide information and any appropriate documentation. The student must also include the resolution or outcome he or she is seeking. The complaint must be submitted within ten (10) business days of the event giving rise to the complaint.
- Within five (5) business days of receiving the complaint, absent good cause, a conference will take place with the student and a staff member from the Dean of Students office.
- The student must submit all relevant documentation within ten (10) business days of the date the student files the complaint.
- The staff member will notify appropriate persons and request any information or further documentation needed to resolve the complaint.
- The staff member may attempt to resolve the complaint by encouraging discussion between the student(s) and other students or third party members of the university community, or by taking the appropriate action to resolve the complaint.
- A review of the complaint with the supervisor(s) or others in the line of supervision of third parties, if applicable, may be used when deemed appropriate and beneficial to the process.
- Absent good cause, the staff member assigned to the complaint will file a final written resolution or a finding of “unresolved” in the Dean of Students office within fifteen (15) business days of the date the student submits the relevant documentation. If there are circumstances requiring an extension of this deadline, the staff member assigned to the complaint will notify the parties involved.
- If the student is not satisfied with the outcome of the complaint, the student may appeal the outcome within five (5) business days of receiving the final written resolution or finding of “unresolved.” The student must file with the Dean of Students a written request for an appeal committee review.
- The appeal committee will consist of five representatives who will serve a one-year term. These representatives will comprise: two student members appointed by the SGA president; one member appointed by the Vice President for Academic Affairs; one member appointed by the Vice President for Student Affairs; one member appointed by the Vice President for Planning and Finance.
- Absent good cause, the appeal committee will issue a final written decision within twenty (20) business days of the date the student submits an appeal. If there are circumstances requiring an extension of this deadline, the chair of the committee will notify the parties involved. The committee’s decision will be final.
Please click "Student Complaint Form" to submit a complaint.