Creating a New Report
Use this checklist to help organize your thoughts about the new report.
All report requests should be in writing.This forces the requestor to organize their thoughts.Use the Report Request Form to help.
- Is there a report that meets my needs?
- Is there a datablock the report can be built from?
- How often will this report be used and by whom? (routine vs. adhoc)
- Is the person authorized to have this information?(security)
- What's the true "drop-dead date" it's needed by? (deadline)
- How will the information be used?(purpose)
- What data should be on the report, in both rows and columns?(specifications)
- How are the data to be selected? (criteria)
- How should the data be sorted and grouped? (filter)
- How should the final output be displayed? (format)
Report Naming Conventions
The report code will be the first part of the report name followed by a space or an underscore ("_"). The remainder of the report name is at the report creator's discretion. The report description can be used for additional documentation. An example of a report name using a report code -- "AM_ODST_Fall 09 Applicants". The description of the report could be -- "List the total number of applicants for the Fall Semester 2009".
Report Code by Department
AR Accounts Receivable
SR Student Records
GS Graduate School
AA Academic Affairs
IR Institutional Research
EM Enrollment Management
FA Financial Aid