About the Writing Center
Tennessee Technological University’s (TTU) Writing Center is here to help students become better writers. We provide students at TTU with the opportunity to talk about their writing, to receive feedback from expert writers, and to improve their written communication. The tutors in the Writing Center are committed to helping TTU students in all disciplines, from English 1010 and beyond, receive the help they need to strengthen their writing skills.
We offer the following:
College writing can be challenging, regardless of your experience, and we can help you work through those challenges. We can help you answer these questions:
- How can I choose a good topic and develop my ideas?
- How can I organize my writing to achieve readability?
- How can I write in a clear way, so my audience understands what I am trying to say?
- How can I identify patterns of error in my writing, and what strategies can I use to resolve those issues?
- How can I cite sources correctly?
- How can I avoid plagiarism when writing with sources?
- How can I effectively integrate source material into my paper?
Consultations are by appointment only. You may sign up for one thirty-minute appointment per day (given our current staffing, we ask that you do not sign up for more than one consultation per day). To schedule an appointment, sign up for a time in our appointment book, located in the Writing Center while we are open; when we are closed, the appointment book is located at the Circulation Desk.
On the day of your appointment, please bring the following items to your consultation:
- A printed copy of your paper,
- A copy of your teacher’s assignment sheet and any feedback the teacher has provided you,
- Specific questions for the tutors and an idea of what kind of assistance will help you the most.
We are here to assist you with your college-writing needs and to help you become better writers. While we are not a proofreading service, our tutors can help you locate and correct problems that affect your writing’s readability. If you have questions about our services, please contact us in person at the Writing Center in the Volpe Library Commons or call 372-6371.
Mondays : 12-6