The faculty in the Department of Exercise Science, Physical Education and Wellness believe that individuals and society benefit from physical activity. Thus, the mission of the Department is to promote enhanced quality of life through participation in physical activity, exercise and sport for the people of Tennessee and beyond.
Since the founding of Tennessee Technological University in 1915, teacher education has been recognized as a vital component of the institution. The organizational structure of the College of Education at Tennessee Technological University has evolved significantly over the years, and it is currently configured into the following academic departments and support units:
Department of Art
Department of Counseling and Psychology
Department of Curriculum and Instruction
Department of Exercise Science, Physical Education, and Wellness
Department of Music
Child Development Laboratory
Learning Resources Center
Learning Support Program
Office of Teacher Education
Through the collaborative efforts of the five academic departments and the five support units, the College of Education maintains a continual focus upon a five-point mission:
1. Preparing caring, competent professionals for a diverse, technological society through the domains of performance, dispositions and knowledge.
2. Providing high quality preparation programs for undergraduate and graduate candidates that are focused upon improving P-12 teacher effectiveness and student performance.
3. Providing a model early childhood development laboratory.
4. Providing resources and opportunities for professional development that benefit school districts, teachers, and students throughout the TTU service region.
5. Supporting educational organizations and events through the Upper Cumberland, the state, and the region.