FAQs on Work Study

Q - When do I find out where I will be working?

On regular Registration day in the Mutli Purpose Room in the University Center. We're distributing the service and work contracts differently this year. Because of the number of students that need to pick up assignments, it is necessary to strictly adhere to a distribution schedule. We will be using the schedule below:

Beginning atIf last name begins with
8:30 a.m. D W X  
9:00 G K M P
10:00 A J L N
11:00 H T U Y-Z
12:00 p.m. E I O F
1:00 C S Q R
2:00 B V    
3:00-4:30 ALL      

If you do not have a current I-9 card, you will need to present acceptable official documentation to a Human Resources employee. If you have any questions regarding your work assignment please contact This e-mail address is being protected from spambots, you need JavaScript enabled to view it .                  ** PLEASE include your T # on all correspondence with our office! **

Q - What is the federal work-study program?

A federal student work program that you may be eligible for if your income is within a certain range.

Q - How do I apply?

You must file a FAFSA and mark the box "yes" that asks if you are interested in student employment if you qualify.

Q - What determines eligibility?

The results of your FAFSA will tell us if you qualify.

Q - What kind of job can I expect?

The majority of jobs are on TTU's campus. We do, however, have jobs available at the Crossville, McMinnville, and Smithville offices. If you are interested in a job outside of the TTU campus, please contact the Financial Aid Office directly. Most jobs are clerical in nature. We do not generally assign students to the campus grill, cafeteria or grounds work.

Q - How much will I be paid?

Minimum wage ($7.25/hr currently).

Q - When will I be paid?

The 10th of each month for work done the previous month.

Q - Do I have to work?

No. You can turn down your offer of work-study, but keep in mind-if you do not work you will not be paid by the work-study program. Turning down your work assignment for this year will not jeopardize your eligibility for work-study in future years.

Q - What if I don't like my work assignment?

Once you have picked up your work assignment it will be for both fall and spring semesters. Generally we will not change your work assignment once you have signed your contract. The office you have been assigned to needs your help to do their job, too!

Q - What if I can only work nights or weekends?

Please contact the Scholarship Coordinator at  This e-mail address is being protected from spambots, you need JavaScript enabled to view it   in the Financial Aid Office. We have a variety of departments that need student workers for evening and weekend work.  ** PLEASE include your T # on all correspondence with our office! **

Q - Do I need an I-9 card?

Yes. The I-9 form is required by the Department of Homeland Security for the purpose of Employment Eligibility Verification. 

Q - How do I obtain an I-9 card? 

The Human Resources Office in Derryberry Hall, Room 146 will be able to assist you in obtaining an I-9 card.  Please review the I-9 form to see what documentation you will need.  More information provided by our HR department can be found here:   http://www.tntech.edu/hr/faqs/