Current Needs and Priorities
The Millard Oakley Center for the Teaching and Learning of Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics (STEM)
The Millard Oakley Center for the Teaching and Learning in Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics (STEM) at TTU will provide facilities and resources specifically designed to meet the research and learning needs of STEM topics. Included in the proposed $7.4 million, 26,000 square-foot building will be:
- The new building at the corner of 7th and Stadium
- Lobby area with interactive displays featuring wired kiosks to showcase research, student projects and visiting exhibits
- Multipurpose area with seating, restrooms and catering facilities
- Electronic infrastructure to capture learning activities for research and distance learning
- A 250-seat tiered auditorium featuring a demonstration table with water, gas and electrical outlets as well as full electronic presentation and recordiing capabilities
- Learning studio laboratories featuring integrated exploration and presentation capabilities with technology-supported course design focusing on each of the following areas:
- Biology and chemistry
- Earth and space sciences, physics and engineering
- Early childhood
As of September 1, 2006, $5.1 million in federal and private funds have been raised toward a goal of $7.4 million. The Center has been named in honor of Mr. Millard Oakley, a local banker and philanthropist, in recognition of a major gift to the STEM Center project.
Unrestricted gifts to programs, departments, schools, colleges, and the university provide great flexibility. These gifts can be channeled to meet current priorities. However, you may place restrictions and specific guidelines on any gift you make. Once the university accepts the gift, we will honor your wishes about how it is to be used. Current gifts may be for annual purposes (i.e. used as received) or to establish or support an endowment (invested for perpetual income).
There is an ongoing need for unrestricted departmental and school/college support.