Civil Engineering - Admission Requirements
The Civil Engineering M.S. program at Tennessee Tech provides the strong academic foundation needed to prepare students to become educated members of society who can make significant contributions to the civil engineering profession. Current areas of research among TTU's graduate faculty are environmental engineering, water resources engineering, structural engineering and mechanics, and transportation engineering and materials.
The program is research oriented and requires a thesis. Graduate faculty work with students in advanced and in-depth studies in these topics; provide guidance in fundamental and applied research; help develop powers of analysis, synthesis and critical thinking; and prepare students to follow academic and research careers through doctoral-level studies.
The program consists of 24 semester hours of course work and a minimum of six thesis hours.
Tennessee Tech houses three state-supported Centers of Excellence: the Electric Power Center, the Manufacturing Research Center, and the Center for the Management, Utilization and Protection of Water Resources. The three centers offer excellent research opportunities, the use of state-of-the-art equipment and funding for graduate students in engineering.
- Satisfactory test scores on the General Record Exam (minimum scores of 150 on the verbal reasoning portion, 155 on the quantitative reasoning portion and 3.5 on the analytical writing portion for full standing)
- Three letters of recommendation
- Official transcripts from your bachelor's institution and any institutions attended since that degree
- Grade Point Average on Bachelor's degree of at least 3.0
- International Applicants must also meet the English Language Requirement by providing test results on one of the following:
- TOEFL--minimum IBT of 79
- IELTS--minimum score of 5.5
- PTE Academic--minimum score of 53
- FLS Level 8
College of Engineering
Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering
P.O. Box 5015 Cookeville, TN 38505
Phone: (931) 372-3454 FAX: (931) 372-6239