Chemistry - Admission Requirements
The Master of Science degree program in Chemistry at Tennessee Tech prepares graduates for a successful career in industry or to continue their education in a doctoral program or professional school. Over the past 15 years, we've been highly successful in placing our M.S. graduate in nationally recognized Ph.D. programs. Courses in the five major areas of chemistry are available, giving you the opportunity to reinforce your background and expand your knowledge in areas not covered by your undergraduate degree.
Our 16-member faculty maintains a wide variety of research programs, giving you a chance to conduct, evaluate and report on original research. A low student-to-faculty ratio allows for individual attention and produces a stimulating intellectual atmosphere conducive to learning. The faculty are overwhelmingly committed to providing the best graduate education possible, according to an outside program reviewer.
Faculty are currently involved in research in protein chemistry, environmental chemistry, organometallic chemistry, medicinal chemistry, molecular modeling of proteins, radiochemical separations, fuel chemistry, quantum mechanics, enzymology, organic synthesis, atmospheric chemistry and spectroscopy, coal liquefaction, astrochemistry and more. Over the past several years, our faculty have obtained more than $1.8 million in research funding in theses areas.
General Admission Requirements:
- Satisfactory test scores on the General Record Exam (1000 total on the verbal/quantitative portions and 3.0 on the analytical writing portion)
- Three letters of recommendation
- Official transcripts from all previously-attended colleges and/or universities
- Grade Point Average on Bachelor's degree of at least 2.5
- International Applicants must also meet the English Language Requirement by providing test results on one of the following:
- TOEFL--minimum IBT of 71
- IELTS--minimum score of 5.5
- PTE Academic--minimum score of 48
- FLS Level 8
Department of Chemistry
P.O. Box 5055 Cookeville, TN 38505
Phone: (931) 372-3421