Engineering - Admission Requirements
The Ph.D. in Engineering at Tennessee Tech is an interdisciplinary degree program involving the College of Engineering's five graduate-level departments: Chemical Engineering, Civil and Environmental Engineering, Computer Science, Electrical and Computer Engineering, and Mechanical Engineering.
Current areas of doctoral research include acoustics, computer engineering, control systems, environmental engineering, fluid mechanics, lasers, lightning, MEMS and nanotechnology, machine design, material sciences, neural networks, physical electronics, plasmas, polymers, power systems, process design, robotics, signal and image processing, solid mechanics, structural engineering and materials, telecommunications, and thermal sciences.
The program consists of a minimum of 24 semester credits of course work beyond the master's degree and 24 semester credits of doctoral research and dissertation.
Tennessee Tech houses three state-supported Centers of Excellence: the Center for Energy Systems Research, the Center for Manufacturing Research , and the Center for the Management, Utilization and Protection of Water Resources. The three centers offer excellent research opportunities, the use of state-of-the-art equipment and funding for graduate students in engineering.
- Completion of an MS degree in an academic area appropriate to the proposed area of study is expected. However, students with a bachelor's degree may be admitted to the Ph.D. program directly on exceptional basis, provided the applicant has a record of excellent academic performance in an appropriate engineering undergraduate program. (See the Graduate Catalog for full details)
- Satisfactory test scores on the General Record Exam (1000 total on the verbal/quantitative portions and 3.5 on the analytical writing portion)
- Three letters of recommendation
- Official transcripts from all previously-attended colleges and universities
- Grade Point Average on Master's degree of at least 3.5
- International Applicants must also meet the English Language Requirement by providing test results on one of the following:
- TOEFL--minimum IBT of 79
- IELTS--minimum score of 5.5
- PTE Academic--minimum score of 53
- FLS Level 8
College of Engineering
P.O. Box 5005 Cookeville, TN 38505
Phone: (931) 372-3172 FAX: (931) 372-6172