English - Admission Requirements
The Master of Arts degree program in English at Tennessee Tech prepares graduates for teaching careers or further graduate and professional education by increasing their knowledge of literary history and improving their skills in writing, literary analysis, and research. The program has both a thesis and nonthesis option.
Because the graduate program in English is small, students receive a great deal of personal attention from faculty. Editorial experience on publications is available, as is course work in linguistics, literature, journalism, popular culture, professional communication, speech and theatre.
- Official transcript of undergraduate work reflecting an overall GPA of 2.5 or above.
- Official transcripts from all previously-attended colleges and/or universities
- Graduate Record Examination Verbal and Writing Score
- Writing Sample (should be an 8-page minimum, critical essay, appropriate for submission in an upper-division, undergraduate English class).
- Three letters of recommendation.
- International Applicants must also meet the English Language Requirement by providing test results on one of the following:
- TOEFL--minimum IBT of 71
- IELTS--minimum score of 5.5
- PTE Academic--minimum score of 48
- FLS--Level 8
- ELS--Level 112
- TOEIC--minimum score of 690
- CEFR--Band B-2
- SLEP--minimum score of 55
Department of English
P.O. Box 5053 Cookeville, TN 38505
Phone: (931) 372-3343 Fax: (931) 372-3484