Environmental Sciences - Admission Requirements
The Ph.D. in Environmental Sciences at Tennessee Tech offers concentrations in biology or chemistry emphasizing the solution of complex environmental problems using an interdisciplinary approach. Twenty-two faculty form the Environmental Sciences core faculty, representing the departments of Biology, Chemistry, Earth Sciences, Agriculture, Sociology and the Water Resources Center of Excellence. Research is heavily subsidized by federal, local, and state grants and contracts.
Course work is required in biology, chemistry, geology, agriculture and sociology. This interdisciplinary approach ensures the students become aware of a wide range of environmental concerns and that their research includes a breadth of environmental understanding beyond the boundaries of a particular discipline.
- a bachelor's or master's degree in science, mathematics, engineering, or environmental science
- a grade point average of 3.0 or above on a 4.0 scale in the concentration of Chemistry and a 3.5 or above on a 4.0 scale in the concentration of Biology
- Official transcripts from all previously-attended colleges or universities
- a combined score of at least 1000 on the verbal and quantitative portions of the GRE exam.
- International Applicants must also meet the English Language Requirement by providing test results on one of the following:
- TOEFL--minimum IBT of 71
- IELTS--minimum score of 5.5
- PTE Academic--minimum score of 48
- FLS Level 8
- ELS--Level 112
- TOEIC--minimum score of 690
- CEFR--Band B-2
- SLEP--minimum score of 55
Environmental Sciences Ph.D. Program
P.O. Box 5152 Cookeville, TN 38505
Phone: (931) 372-6246 Fax: (931) 372-6346