Frequently Asked Questions

Q: What do I need in order to apply for Graduate Admission?

Q: Should I submit a full application for admission or a readmission application?

The full application for admission should be used for initial entry and for a new degree program. The readmission application should be used only for readmission into the same degree program and major.

Q: What is the address if I want to express mail/courier my application materials?

Office of Graduate Studies
Tennessee Tech University
1 William L. Jones Drive, Room 306
Cookeville, TN 38505

Q: Certain majors require certain admissions tests. What are they?

Q: I have not yet taken the admissions test.  May I still be admitted?

For those applying for the MA or Ed.S. programs within the College of Education--this is a possibility based on your undergraduate GPA.  However you would still be required to successfully complete the required exam during the first semester of enrollment.

For those applying to the other graduate programs--this option is not available.

Q: I have not taken the admissions test yet but I have been admitted in provisional standing. Are there any restrictions?

If you are admitted in provisional standing pending test scores, you must take the test during your first semester of enrollment. In addition, you will be limited to a maximum of nine credit hours during that first semester.

Q: I have taken the IELTS instead of the TOEFL exam. Will this be okay?

The Graduate School will accept the IELTS as a replacement for the TOEFL exam, as well as the PTE Academic and the FLS International Language School Level 9.

Q: I have taken my admissions test but did not make the required score. May I continue another semester?

You must successfully complete the test during your first semester.  You will not be permitted to register a second term until that requirement has been met.

Q: How do I obtain information regarding the admissions tests?

The MAT is given by the Counseling Center located in the University Center room 307. The test is given usually just once a month and students need to call (931) 372-3331 to schedule a seat for this exam. You may also go to for other testing sites. Students needing to take the GRE, GMAT, or TOEFL may go to,, or for the respective test information. For information on the IELTS, go to

Q: How many letters of recommendation are required?

All majors require 3, except the M.B.A., which only requires 1. The MSN requires an academic letter of recommendation from a previous nursing faculty, a supervisor's letter of recommendation, as well as a professional letter of recommendation.

Q: I need special accommodations made before I can take the admissions test. What do I need to do?

The first step is to contact the Office of Disability Services. They will be able to provide you with all information and procedures to follow for any special accommodations.

Q: How do I apply for Graduate Assistantships?

Applications are available online at Students complete the application and forward to Graduate Admissions with their Application Materials. If the student is a currently enrolled student, please submit a copy to the Office of Research and Graduate Studies where your student file is located.  They will forward a copy to the department in which youare enrolled.  The students may also submit that document to the offices themselves.

Additional Information

Q: What is considered a full-time load for a graduate student?

9 hours = Full-time Fall and Spring Semester
6 hours = Full-time Summer Semester

Q: What is considered a maximum load for a graduate student?

16 hours = Any Semester
12 hours = Full assistantship

Students NOT on assistantship will need to contact the Office of Research and Graduate Studies (931-372-3233) each semester they wish to enroll in more than 12 hours.

Q: What is the required minimum load for graduate assistants?

Fall and Spring Semesters:
6 hours = full assistantship
3 hours = half assistantship

Summer Semester:
3 hours = full assistantship
1 hour = half assistantship

Q: How can I be reclassified as an in-state student?

You need to provide adequate information to warrant a review of residency status. Usually this is in the form of a letter from your employer indicating that you are working full-time (30 hours per week or more) in Tennessee. If approved, the student may register for up to 7 hours per term at in-state rates while establishing permanent residency.

Q: I live outside of Tennessee. Can I be classified as an in-state student?

If you live in any of the following six Kentucky counties, you will be able to attend Tennessee Tech as an in-state student: Clinton, Cumberland, McCreary, Monroe, Wayne, Whitley.

Q: What is the time limit allowed to complete a graduate degree?

Master's and Ed.S. students must complete all degree requirements within a period of six consecutive years. Doctoral programs must be completed within a period of eight consecutive years.

Q: My six years have expired. What do I do?

A student can be granted a three semester extension if they make a formal appeal. This appeal is a memo from the student's graduate advisory committee. The entire advisory committee has to sign the request as well as the department chair. The memo is addressed to the Graduate School Executive Committee. The memo simply states the request for a three-term extension.

Q: How many hours does it take to receive a Master's Degree?

A candidate for the master's degree must complete at least 30 semester hours of credit in a program requiring a thesis and at least 33 semester hours in a nonthesis program. The total hours required will vary by department. Nonthesis options are available in all departments of the College of Education, Department of English, Department of Computer Science, Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering, Department of Mathematics, M.B.A., and School of Nursing. A masters can be attained in 3 semesters.

Q: If I don't have a master's degree, can I apply for an Ed.S. Degree?


Q: Aren't there some exceptions where I can go from bachelors to Ph.D. or Ed.S.?

You can never go to Ed.S. without a master's. The Ph.D. programs do not require a master's as a prerequisite.

Q: What is a PC-191?

A fee waiver for faculty or staff.

Q: A). If I have a PC-191, do I have to pay the application fee?

If you have previously attended TTU as a graduate student, you would not have to pay it. However, if you haven't been a TTU graduate student, then the fee is required.

Q: B). I was an undergraduate at TTU; do I still have to pay the application fee?

Yes. This fee must be paid at both the undergraduate and graduate levels.

Q: When I graduate, does the graduate office send something to my school or the state?

The student must request a transcript be sent. You do that through **Records Office(get from records).