Mechanical Engineering - Admission Requirements
The Mechanical Engineering M.S. program at Tennessee Tech provides students advanced engineering skills and state-of-the-art knowledge in selected areas for positions in industry. Students focus their programs on specific interests among five areas:
- Acoustics and Vibrations
- Control Systems
- Design/Mechanical Systems
- Thermal Science/Systems
- MEMS and Nanotechnology
The program is research oriented and requires a thesis. Graduate faculty work with students in advanced and in-depth studies in these topics; provide guidance in fundamental and applied research; help develop powers of analysis, synthesis and critical thinking; and prepare students to follow academic and research careers through doctoral-level studies.
The program consists of 24 semester hours of course work and a minimum of six thesis hours.
Tennessee Tech houses three state-supported Centers of Excellence: the Electric Power Center, the Manufacturing Research Center, and the Center for the Management, Utilization and Protection of Water Resources. The three centers offer excellent research opportunities, the use of state-of-the-art equipment and funding for graduate students in engineering.
- GRE General Test scores with Quantitative greater than or equal to 50%; Verbal greater than or equal to 33%; Analytical Writing greater than or equal to 33%. Students with BS degrees in related fields from TTU are not required to take the GRE.
- Three letters of recommendation
- Official transcripts from all previously-attended colleges and/or universities
- Grade Point Average on Bachelor's degree of at least 3.0
- International Applicants must also meet the English Language Requirement by providing test results on one of the following:
- TOEFL--minimum IBT of 79
- IELTS--minimum score of 5.5
- PTE Academic--minimum score of 53
- FLS Level 8
- ELS--Level 112
- TOEIC--minimum score of 750
- CEFR--Band B-2
- SLEP--minimum score of 58
College of Engineering
Department of Mechanical Engineering
P.O. Box 5014 Cookeville, TN 38505
Phone: (931) 372-3254 FAX: (931) 372-6340