Navigating Graduate School
Every student has the potential and opportunity to succeed in Graduate Studies. The key is knowing what to do, when to do it, and how. The five major steps, as outlined below, will tell you most everything you need to know and guide you on the way to your graduate degree.
- Apply online, pay fees online, and submit documents. See individual departmental requirements for document requirements.
- Complete application files will be sent to the appropriate department for evaluation. Applications for Master's and Ed.S. in Education (with the exception of Instructional Leadership) are evaluated by Graduate Admissions.
- Notification of admission decision is sent to the student via email.
- If admitted in Provisional Standing as a result of incomplete or inadequate applications credentials, the deficiences must be removed prior to enrollment in a second semester. Lack of test scores will restrict enrollment to a maximum of 9 hours in the first semester. Major program test score requirements must be met or registration will not be permitted beyond the first semester of enrollment.
- Nondegree Students (Special Standing): Submit to Graduate Studies a Change of Graduate Major form if you wish to change to a degree program.
- No more than 9 hours earned in Special Standing may be counted toward a degree program.
- Contact the major department for advisement. The contact information is provided on the Certificate of Admission.
- The departmental chair or advisor will provide student with "Alternate PIN" codes for registration.
- Register online using the information provided by the advisor or departmental contact.
- Pay fees and confirm enrollment.
Attendance through Graduation
1. Complete and submit the Advisory Committee and Program of Study Forms - Forms required.
- All degree seeking students: Submit the Program of Study and the Advisory Committee forms by the time 15 hours of graduate credit have been earned, or within the term in which 15 hours will be earned, otherwise future registrations will not be permitted.
- Master's students: Submit the Advisory Committee, Program of Study and Admission to Candidacy form which is a two-page fill-and-print pdf. Both pages are required.
- Ed.S. students: Submit the Program of Study and Advisory Committee forms which is a two-page fill-and-print pdf. Both pages are required.
- Ph.D. students: Submit the Program of Study and Advisory Committee forms is a two separate fill-and-print pdfs. Both pages are required.
2. Apply for Reclassification to Full Standing - Forms required.
- This is not required of students admitted to the Graduate School in full standing.
- Students with incomplete application credentials: reclassification to full standing will be processed by the Graduate School when the deficiencies have been removed.
- Students with other conditions noted on the Certificate of Admission (such as completion of specific courses, submission of final degree certificate, etc.): submit the Application for Reclassification to Full Standing appropriate for your degree level.
3. Apply for Admission to Candidacy - Forms required.
- Master's students: Submit the Advisory Committee, Program of Study and Admission to Candidacy form which is a two-page fill-and-print pdf.
- Ed.S. students: Submit the Ed.S. Application for Admission to Candidacy form to the Graduate School. It will be held and processed after the student has completed 15 credit hours.
- Ph.D. students: Upon successful completion of the Comprehensive Exam, the student's advisor sends a memo to the Graduate School requesting student's admission to candidacy. This memo must be approved by the student's advisory committee, the departmental chairperson, and the associate dean of the college. Consult with the advisory committee chairperson regarding the timing and specific requirements of the Comprehensive Exam and Admission to Candidacy.
4. Apply for Graduation - Forms required.
- Submit the application for graduation no later than the first Friday of the semester in which graduation is expected.
- The Graduate School will notify the student of receipt of application and of items/courses needed/missing for graduation.
5. Complete Comprehensive Exam - Forms required.
- Master's and Ed.S. students:
- Schedule exam directly with the department not the Graduate School.
- Consult the department for exam dates.
- Advisor submits the results of this exam to the Graduate School three weeks prior to graduation.
- Ph.D. students: Consult with the Adivsory Committee Chairperson regarding the timing and specific requirements of the Comprehensive Exam and Admission to Candidacy.
- Master's and Ed.S. students:
6. Thesis/Dissertation Defense - Forms required.
- Schedule defense with the student's advisory committee well in advance of the deadline.
- Notify departmental chairperson and/or associate dean as appropriate.
- Submit the results of the defense to the Graduate School three weeks prior to graduation.
7. Thesis/Dissertation Submission
- Submit the final copy electronically to eTD ProQuest no later than two weeks prior to graduation. The ProQuest site can be found at www.etdadmin.com/tntech. Instructions and assistance may be found at www.tntech.edu/graduatestudies/etd.
- Submit the original copy of the Certificate of Approval of Thesis (or Dissertation) signed by your advisory committee and the original submitted to the Graduate School no later than two weeks prior to graduation. This serves as notice to the Graduate School the thesis/dissertation has met all standard of excellence and is free from punctuation, spelling, grammar, and format errors and may now be reviewed.
- Submit all approved theses/dissertations will be electronially submitted to ProQuest by the Graduate School for electronic publication one week prior to graduation.
8. Thesis/Dissertation Binding - Forms required.
- Any student desiring to have his/her approved theses/dissertations bound may do so through the Graduate School office at a reduced cost of $10 per bound copy.
- If copies are to be shipped, the charge is at actual cost--Priority Mail rate for U.S. and appropriate carrier for international. here is not shipping cost if picked up at the Graduate School office.
- The student is responsible for printing as many copies as are to be bound. The bound copies, a binding order form, and $10 per copy to be bound should be taken to the Graduate School office. Shipping costs will be assessed at this time.
- The bindery picks up and delivers once a month.