HPEO Freshman Activities
Try out new things.
Attending and participating in campus activities is a way for you to try out new things. Ideally, you should attend events and activities which are new to you -- which you haven't experienced before. Most of the events sponsored by the ASG and Honors can count as HPEO activities. In addition, there are numerous other concerts, plays, lectures, cultural events, and other happenings which can count.
Begin attending and participating in activities at the beginning of the semester. Watch the ASG Diget for HPEO activity opportunities. Also, keep your eye on campus bulletin boards for posters advertising upcoming events. Try to complete your Activities well before the end of the semester. Categories and Limits on HPEO Activities are listed below on this page. Also, check out our list of suggested campus activities for HPEO credit.
Document your HPEO Activities.
- You need to get a signature or stamp for each activity you attend.
- Get a handful of purple Honors HPEO Activity Signature Forms from the Honors office or from the peer mentor in your HON 1010 class.
- Each time you attend an event, take a purple form with you and get a signature or stamp from an authorized person at the event (usher, presider, other person in charge).
- Turn in the purple Signature Forms at the Honors Office WITHIN ONE WEEK after attending the event.
You are required to attend TOTAL of 20 hours of activities and events. Some events may last 45 minutes to an hour. Some may last longer. Track and document the duration of each event. You must report a MINIMUM of 20 hours of events in AT LEAST THREE of the categories listed below. There is a MAXIMUM of 8 HOURS per category. These limits are in place to discourage you from doing all 20 of your hours in similar activities. You need to DIVERSIFY!
Activity Categories and Limits.
You may NOT count any activity that you are otherwise required to attend or take part in. That is, you can't count something that you do for a course assignment, or as a required event for a club or other group that you participate in. You can't count activities that you attend that are motivated by church or religious involvement.
Here are some categories of activities and events that qualify:
- Center Stage events (speakers, concerts, cultural events) You need to swipe your Eagle Card at the event, so there is a record of your attendance. (Turn in a purple form with or without a signature -- we can get a list of participants from Center Stage.)
- Other lectures by visiting guest speakers or faculty.
- Backdoor Playhouse theatre productions.
- On-campus sporting event (LIMIT ONE).
- On-campus concerts and recitals (LIMIT 8) For a list of concerts check the University Calendars (select "Concerts").
- Honors workshops, including: Faculty Unchalked, Great Outdoors Committee trips, Thursday Evenings with the Faculty, Honors Fora.
- Mindless or Mindful Movie or campus movie presentation (LIMIT: TWO MOVIES TOTAL per semester).
- Other Honors social events such as Honors picnic, Honors lecture presentations, Game Nights, and others. (Read the ASG Digest emailed to you. Get announcements in HON 1010.)
- Honors Intramural sporting events: Attending as a spectator; maximum of five games per semester.
- Social activities. Events that are primarily social in nature and purpose. LIMIT: Eight (8) hours of social activities per semester.
- Other events and activities with the approval of the Associate Director.