The Community Service Option
If you have selected the Community Service Option for HPEO this semester, please read and comply with the following procedures:
[ PRINT THIS PAGE AND USE IT AS A CHECKLIST FOR COMPLETING THE TASKS LISTED BELOW. ]
Download and print a copy of the COMMUNITY SERVICE GUIDELINES for Fall, 2013
- Contact University Service Center (USC) Coordinator, Michelle Huddleston, at
, or by phone at 372-6120. Or visit the USC, in the University Center, RUC 108 (across from cafeteria), M-F, 8:00 am - 3:00 pm.
- Complete a "Student Needs Assessment" Form. Paper copy is available at the University Service Center. Or submit the form online.
- Get Michelle Huddleston's signature on the HPEO Commitment Form. (Form must be submitted to Honors Office by Friday, September 6 at 4:30.)
- Check the List of Recommended and Pre-approved Volunteer Sites. These sites are recommended by Honors and the Service Center staff.
- Schedule a meeting with Service Center staff to decide on a volunteer opportunity for the semester. Consult the University Service Center website for a complete listing of volunteer opportunities. Plan on selecting a local, off-campus volunteer site. Church-related outreach programs are acceptable, but serving directly in religious roles such as worship leader or bible study coordinator is not acceptable.
- Get approval of your community service placement by University Service Center Staff by Friday, September 13.
- Obtain a "Service Hours Log Sheet" from the Service Center, and use it to track and document your hours served.
- Turn in the Service Hours Log Sheet to the USC after completing your service hours. The deadline for submitting the completed Log Sheet to the Service Center is Wednesday, November 27, 2013. Make sure your NAME is on the form, along with the word "HPEO" written on the form. Make sure you have signatures and contact information from your direct service supervisor at your service setting.
- After the Service Center has verified your service, they will report completion of your service to the Honors Program.
- Submit a summary paragraph to Honors HPEO, at
describing and commenting on your service experience, by Friday, December 6, 2013.