A social security number is issued by the United States government to aid in identification of a person for taxation, employment, etc. The student identification number that was issued to you by the University IS NOT A SOCIAL SECURITY NUMBER and should not be used as such.
If you are not employed on the campus, you are not eligible to obtain a social security number; instead, you should apply for an individual taxpayer identification number (ITIN) in the Office of Payroll and Personnel in Derryberry Hall, Room 146. You are not required to pay social security or FICA taxes as a non-immigrant.
If you will be employed at Tennessee Tech, you are eligible for and must obtain a U.S. social security number. If you will not be employed on campus, you are not eligible for a social security number. You cannot apply for the social security number until you have proof of employment.
Proof of employment consists of one of the following:
- For graduate assistants, a signed contract for a graduate assistantship (available in University Payroll/Personnel Office upon approval of the assistantship by the academic department. You will be notified when to sign the contract in the Payroll Office).
- For students employed on campus (other than graduate assistants), a signed Verification of Eligibility for Employment form (please contact office for details about eligibility).
- For students on an athletic scholarship who will not be employed on campus, you must apply for an ITIN instead of a social security number (apply in the University Payroll/Personnel Office).
- You must go to the local Social Security Office at 1145 Perimeter Park Drive, Cookeville, Tenn., to apply in person for a social security card. You will be required to show your proof of employment at Tennessee Tech, a valid passport, and a valid I-20 or IAP-66 form. Please do not go to the Social Security Office until you have all of these items with you.
- Directions from Tennessee Tech University to the Social Security Office:
- Start out going SOUTH on N DIXIE AVE toward E 7TH ST. 0.4 miles
- Turn LEFT onto E 4TH ST. 0.1 miles
- Turn RIGHT onto TN-136/TN-42/N WASHINGTON AVE. 0.3 miles
- Turn LEFT onto US-70N/E SPRING ST/TN-24. 1.4 miles
- Turn RIGHT onto NEAL ST. 0.5 miles
- Turn RIGHT onto PERIMETER PARK DR. <0.1 miles
If you wish to get directions online, access Mapquest by clicking here.
- 1145 PERIMETER PARK DR., COOKEVILLE , TN 38501
Social Security Office Phone Number
- (800) 772-1213
- (931) 528-9765
- TTY: (931) 372-8459