Information on this page is for testing on site at Tennessee Technological University's campus in Cookeville, TN.
For information about testing at other sites, please contact the education institution where you plan to attend or http://www.ACT.org.
Testing is conducted in Matthews Hall 153 on campus only, during the morning of the first day of the Student Orientation and Registration [SOAR] sessions.
ACT scores [scores dated within three years of the first day of classes for the semester in which you plan to enroll] are used as the primary tool for course placement decisions. Check here for information on ACT Placement. If you wish to accept the placement determined by your ACT scores, you do not have to test with COMPASS. If you believe that you should be placed at a higher level than determined based upon your ACT scores, then you will need to test with COMPASS before you register for classes.
YOU MUST MAKE A TESTING APPOINTMENT. Seating is limited, so if you do not make an appointment you will have to wait until a later date to test. If you are required to take the COMPASS Test, you will NOT be allowed to register for classes until the test is completed.
The TESTING HOTLINE number is 931-372-3476. Operators are waiting [8am to 4:30pm, Monday through Friday] to take your call for an appointment. The phone line is also on a phone-messaging service. If you use phone-messaging, please leave your name, phone number, T-number [TTU student ID number assigned by Admissions], and the date for which you wish to register.
You will be asked for the following information:
If you are not sure if you need to take the test or which parts of the test you will be required to take, the following information is given to assist you.
- If you will be 21 or older by the first day of scheduled classes for the semester, you may be required to take the COMPASS Test if you do not have ACT scores or if your ACT scores are more than 3 years old on the first day of classes for the term for which you plan to enroll. If you have ACT or SAT scores that are less than 3 years old, follow the cut-off guidelines in #2 below.
- If you are younger than 21 and have taken the ACT, you may take the COMPASS Test if you scored 18 or less on the ACT Reading sub score (take the Reading portion of the COMPASS); 17 or less on the ACT English sub score (take the Writing portion of the COMPASS and write an essay); 18 or less on the ACT Mathematics sub score (take the Mathematics portion of the COMPASS).
- If you are transferring from another college or university and have not successfully completed a college-level English Composition course and/or a college-level Mathematics course, you should take the COMPASS (or if you have already taken the COMPASS or the ASSET, have your scores and proof of courses completed sent to the Learning Support Program office at the address below as soon as possible. If scores are 3 years old or older and you have not begun the course sequence, you will be required to retest.)
If you plan to enter Summer Semester 2013:
Dates are subject to change but will be reposted as changes occur.
- Test check-in begins at 08:30 am. Testing begins at 9:00 am.
|20 May 2013 [Monday]||09:00 am||Matthews Hall||153|
|29 May 2013 [Wednesday] International Students Only||09:00 am / 01:00 pm||Matthews Hall||153|
|30 May 2013 [Thursday]||09:00 am||Matthews Hall||153|
If you plan to enter Fall Semester 2013:
Check with Admissions for your SOAR (Student Orientation/ Advisement/ Registration) appointment time.
- These COMPASS dates are for the first day of each SOAR.
- Dates are subject to change but will be reposted as changes occur.
- Test check-in begins at 08:30 am.
06 June 2013 [Thursday]
|09:00 am||Matthews Hall||153|
|10 June 2013 [Monday]||09:00 am||Matthews Hall||153|
|13 June 2013 [Thursday]||09:00 am||Matthews Hall||153|
|17 June 2013 [Monday]||09:00 am||Matthews Hall||153|
|20 June 2013 [Thursday]||09:00 am||Matthews Hall||153|
|22 July 2013 [Monday]||09:00 am||Matthews Hall||153|
|25 July 2013 [Thursday]||09:00 am||Matthews Hall||153|
|29 July 2013 [Monday]||09:00 am||Matthews Hall||153|
|01 August 2013 [Thursday]||09:00 am||Matthews Hall||153|
|16 August 2013 [Friday] International Students Only||09:00 am / 01:00 pm||Matthews Hall||153|
|19 August 2013 [Monday] International Students Only||09:00 am / 01:00 pm||Matthews Hall||153|
|22 August 2013 [Thursday]||09:00 am||Matthews Hall||153|
If you plan to enter Spring Semester 2014: TBA
Dates are subject to change but will be reposted as changes occur. Test check-in begins at 08:30 am.
Remember: If you have testing requirements, they must be completed before you are allowed to register for classes.
- You are to report NO LATER than 15 minutes before test time. If you come late, you may be rescheduled for a later test date. Since your test must be completed before you can register, you would not be allowed to register for classes when you planned.
- There is a $10 charge for the COMPASS Test, payable at the time of the test by cash or check made out to TTU/COMPASS test. [Re-test charge is $20.]
- I.D. with photograph is required (driver's license with photo, for example)
- Keep in mind that if you are required to take the COMPASS Test, you CANNOT REGISTER FOR CLASSES until after you have taken the test and it is scored. You must pick up the score results and base your choice of classes on those results. Test scores will be available immediately following the test.
- For further information on the COMPASS Test at Tennessee Technological University, please contact Ms. Lydia Kendall in the Learning Support Program office at (931) 372-3476.
- Tennessee Technological University is in the Central Time Zone.
- Report to Matthews Hall, room 153 for check-in and testing. Matthews Hall is #35 on the campus map. The street address is 80W 8th Street.
NOTICE: If you have a disability that might require special testing conditions, please contact:
Office of Disability Services
Tennessee Technological University
Cookeville, TN 38505-0001
phone: (931) 372-6119
**The Office of Disability Services requires documentation of disability no later than three days prior to the test date for which you are requesting accommodations.