The Learning Support Program Welcomes You!
Learning Support Program Matthews Hall, Room 153
Labs are open Monday, Wednesday, and Thursday.
Other times available by request.
The Learning Support Program (LSP) is pleased to offer a variety of services and assistance programs for freshmen, transfer students, teacher candidates, and international students at Tennessee Tech University.
We work closely with the Office of Admissions during the yearly SOAR events for new students (SOAR: Student Orientation, Advisement, and Registration).
- The LSP provides academic support and free tutoring services for university students needing assistance in developing writing, reading, and mathematics skills.
- Also, the LSP offers free tutoring for teacher education candidates preparing for and/or re-testing for the Praxis exams or PPST (pre-professional skills tests).
Placement & Your ACT Scores / COMPASS Exam
- If you have been placed in developmental classes based upon your ACT scores, you may take the COMPASS Placement Exam to attempt to place into college-level classes.
- Students wishing to challenge their ACT placement, the COMPASS Placement Exam is offered on the first day of each SOAR (Student Orientation, Advisement, and Registration session].
- Students requesting to take the exam should contact the LSP at 931-372-3476 to register for the test.
- There is a $10 fee for any or all parts of the test; if you are re-taking the COMPASS test the fee is $20.
- The fee is payable by cash or check during check-in for COMPASS which begins at 8:30am in Matthews Hall 153.
- The test itself begins at 9am. The test is computer adaptive and computer scored, test results are available by the time students finish the test. For more information about COMPASS, see http://www.tntech.edu/learningsupport/compassform/. Diagnostic testing will be used to determine the amount of learning support students will be required to attend.
- Based upon ACT scores and test scores from the COMPASS Placement Test students may be required to enroll in a section containing Learning Support in English, Reading, or Mathematics.
If you have already taken the COMPASS Exam and still have developmental requirements, there is a way for you to remain at TTU and get the assistance you need. If your requirement is for:
- Developmental Math [DSPM0800 and/or DSPM0850]:
- If your major requires an algebra-based math course, register for MATH1000 Transitional Algebra. This course will provide the algebra background you need for college-level algebra-based math while giving you the learning support that you need to be successful.
- If your major requires only MATH1010, MATH1530, or MATH1410, register for one of the designated sections of that class and learning support will be provided as part of the course.
- Developmental Reading [DSPR0800]:
- Register for READ1010 College Reading Improvement [lecture and lab]. This course is open to anyone who needs [or would like] to improve reading skills in preparation for the rigors of reading and understanding college-level textbooks. If your ACT-Reading sub score is less than 17, you will also need to register for READ1100 Writing and Reading Learning Support Lab.
- Developmental Writing [DSPW0800]:
- Register for ENGL1010; however, you will also need to register for READ1100 Writing and Reading Learning Support Lab.
Tennessee Tech University Campus Map