Incomplete Grades Policy
Grades that may be assigned for courses taken through the Academic Development Program are ' A,' ' B,' ' C,' and ' F.' The Academic Development Program discourages the use of 'Incompletes.'
- Incompletes must be formally requested by the student and will not be automatically issued.
- Incomplete grades are to be given only to students who have been regularly attending class and have kept their work for the class up to date but who have a serious emergency at the end of the term. If a student simply stops attending class, the instructor is obligated to give that student an ' F.'
- Having "too much work to do" is not considered a valid reason for requesting an Incomplete. If the student is not doing well or is simply "in over his/her head," an Incomplete grade is inappropriate and will not be assigned. Incomplete grades will not be given to students who are merely wanting to improve their grades.
- The student must have a passing grade for the work that has already been completed before being considered for an Incomplete.
- Incomplete grades will not be considered for work missed prior to the last few weeks of the semester. A student who encounters problems beyond his control that require prolonged absence earlier in the semester should consider withdrawing from the university and gaining readmission for the next term.
- The instructor is allowed to give an ' I ' only if the deficiency is due to an authorized absence or other cause beyond the control of the student. Documentation of illness, etc., is required. Instructors are in no way required to assign a grade of ' I.' They may assign a normal letter grade if they prefer. In order to be considered eligible to request an Incomplete, a student
- must have satisfactorily completed all but a small portion of the work required for the course.
- must be unable to complete the remainder of the requirements due to extenuating circumstances. Acceptance of extenuating circumstances as valid reasons for requesting the incomplete is left to the best judgment of the instructor.
- must, before the end of the term, make arrangements with the instructor to complete the necessary work. These arrangements include a formal contract with a deadline date on or before the last date to add a course during the next term of the student's enrollment at any higher education institution [or a date mutually agreed upon by the instructor and the student.]
- must complete the necessary coursework by the agreed-upon deadline or the grade will change from ' I ' to ' F.'
The Request for Incomplete Grade Form must be completed before requesting an appointment with the instructor to discuss the possibility of receiving an Incomplete.