Frequently Asked Questions


For Future Music Students

Information for the Public


What opportunities are available to music majors upon graduation?

There are many lifetime options for musicians.
Most musicians engage in a mix of jobs and professional activities combining the roles of teacher, performer, composer, contractor, music business, continuing student, volunteer, or music technologist as best suits their personal nature. With a bachelor’s degree in hand, one of the most common paths is to pursue an advanced degree at the master’s and doctoral level. Music educators teach in private studios, public and private K-12 schools, colleges and universities, community music schools, and in early childhood music programs (Suzuki, Kindermusik, etc.). Performers find employment as conductors, solo and chamber musicians, commercial or studio musicians, ensemble players, freelancers, or in military ensembles. Composers work in arranging, orchestration, commercial and film music, or as copyists.

There are many other options in music business, including artist management, media music, retailing, instrument repair, manufacturing and design, and the recording industry. Only the talent, skill, and imagination of the candidate limit the job prospects in music.

Check out the many accomplishments and career achievements of TTU Music alumni!

Back to top of page

What are the requirements to be admitted to TTU?

The requirements to be admitted to TTU can be reviewed on the Admissions Page of the TTU website.

How do I transfer to TTU from another university or two-year college?

Visit the Transfer Equivalency page on TTU's website for transfer equivalency tables and evaluation processes.

How do I arrange for an audition?

Students interested in auditioning for admission to the Department of Music and Art should visit the Audition Information section of this website.

Must I be a majoring in music to perform in a Departmental ensemble?

Admission to all Department music ensembles is open to all University students regardless of major. Some ensembles, however, require a successful audition, or the permission of the instructor, prior to enrollment in the course. For further information, interested students should check with the director of the ensemble.

Back to top of page

Does the University provide instruments for student use?

The Department expects music majors to own their own instruments, and non-majors performing in Department ensembles are encouraged to bring their own instruments for use in these groups. The Department of Music and Art has a limited number of University-owned instruments for student use, however. These instruments are, generally, the larger color instruments (i.e., baritone saxophone, contrabassoon, English horn, bass trombone, string bass, etc.). Please contact the director of the ensemble should you need to borrow a University instrument.

What scholarships are available to musicians at Tennessee Tech?

The Department of Music administers a competitive scholarship program for student musicians, regardless of academic major. Music majors, and all other interested musicians, must first apply and be accepted to TTU, complete all required forms, and successfully audition to be considered for a music scholarship. You should audition for a music scholarship as soon as possible in the year before your entrance to the University. Non-music majors desiring to audition for ensemble service awards should contact the University Ensemble Office (931/372-3165) for information. 
For more information visit these university sites: Admissions, Financial Aid Office and Scholarships

What is the deadline for applying for scholarships?

New and continuing music students must apply by December 15th of each year to be eligible for general University scholarships for the following academic year. Audition dates for music scholarships are available in both Fall and Spring and can be reviewed on the Audition Information page.


Back to Top of Page


Must I major in music to qualify for a music scholarship?

The majority of music scholarships are awarded to those students declaring a major in music. However, a limited amount of money is available to highly qualified student musicians who are not music majors. Non-music majors interested in receiving an ensemble service award should visit the Audition Information page of this website.

How can I learn more about majoring in music at TTU?

Much more information is available on the Departmental website. For specific questions, email the Department of Music or call (931) 372-3161.

Back to Top of Page

Information for the Public

How do I check for upcoming events sponsored by the Department of Music and Art?

Click on one of the following to view a complete and current calendar of: concerts, exhibitions, workshops, and camps.

Where do I park when attending an event in the Bryan Fine Arts Building?

View a map and directions to the Bryan Fine Arts Building here. For most events, parking is available in the lot across Dixie Avenue or the other lots surrounding the building. Campus parking is restricted between the hours of 7:45 a.m. and 4:30 p.m. on weekdays. Visitors may obtain a one-day parking pass from University Police by phone at (931) 372-3234 or by email. Parking is un-restricted on evenings and weekends.


What if I need special accommodations at events?

On this campus map, click on Bryan Fine Arts Building to view complete parking and accessibility information. If additional accommodations are required, please phone the Departmental Office at 931/372-3161 for further assistance.

Back to Top of Page

How do I find musicians to perform at an event on campus or in the Cookeville area?

Please contact the Office of the Department of Music and Art, 931/372-3161. Your call will be directed to the appropriate faculty member.

How do I find a private teacher for my child?


Please contact the Office of the Department of Music and Art, 931/372-3161. Your call will be directed to the appropriate faculty member.

How do I donate, or have evaluated, a work of art, a musical instrument, or other tangible object?


Departmental faculty members do not appraise, but can offer advice and/or information on musical instruments and some related items. The donation of musical instruments or other tangible item is subject to approval by the Department of Music and by University Advancement. For assistance, contact the departmental office at (931) 372-3161, or see Making a Gift to Music.

Back to Top of Page