Frequently Asked Questions About Campus

Common Tech Questions and Need to Know

Keeping in touch with mail, voice-mail, and email (back to top)

MAIL: TTU has a fully-functional US Post Office located on the ground floor of the RUC. If you have a box, your address is:

Your Name
Cookeville, TN 38505

You can send campus mail to students with boxes or faculty members without using a stamp. Just find their TTU box number, and put it in the "Campus Mail" box in the RUC. Students can locate their TTU box number by logging in to Eagle Online, select the "Students" tab, click "Registration", and click "View Registration Times, Advisor, Post Office Box/Combination".

Students Living On-Campus
Students living in the residence halls can receive FedEx or UPS deliveries. These items must be delivered to the Office of Residential Life. Their physical address is:

1000 N Dixie Ave
M.S. Cooper Hall Room 217
Cookeville, TN 38505

VOICE-MAIL: Each student has a voice-mail box through the TTU system. Your box number and your voice mailbox number can be found on the TTU homepage. Just follow the Registration Menu under Student Services and then look for a link to your PO Box, voice mailbox number and your advisor.

EMAIL: Each student has an Email account through the computer center. For more information on getting started with your Email account contact ITS (931) 372-3975 or visit the Student Email website.

Office Hours (back to top)

Most TTU offices are open from 8:00AM till Noon and 1:00PM to 4:30PM. From Noon to 1:00PM is considered to be the lunch hour for most University offices. If you have problems reaching someone due to work or classes, call the office or send a note or email to the person with whom you would like to speak. They should be more than happy to set up a appointment with you outside of the "normal" hours.

DEAD HOUR: There are two periods a week in which there are no classes. This "dead hour" is on Tuesday & Thursday from 11:00AM to Noon. This time is set aside for meetings and activities, most offices are open during dead hour.

How do I change my major? (back to top)

You'll first need to pick up a form in Records & Registration in Derryberry Hall. You must then fill out the form, get it signed by both new and old advisors, then return it back to Records & Registration. The Records office phone number is 372-3317 and it can be found in Derryberry Hall Room 102.

Class Attendance (back to top)

Class attendance is mandatory, though some instructors check attendance and some do not. It is in your best interest to explain reasons for absences to your instructor.

Stressed out, wondering what to do with your life, or just need someone to talk to... (back to top)

The Counseling Center offers FREE, confidential counseling services to all TTU students. In addition to individual counseling, the Center holds a series of workshops on Thursdays from 11:00 AM - 11:50 AM on leadership, learning to laugh, and stress management. The Counseling Center can be found in the Roaden University Center (RUC) Room 307. Their telephone number is (931) 372-3331.

Exercise and Keeping Fit (back to top)

Recreation & Fitness Center hours:

  • Monday-Thursday 6:00AM - 11:00PM
  • Friday 6:00AM - 9:00PM
  • Saturday 11:00AM - 8:00PM
  • Sunday 1:00PM - 11:00PM

They offer all kinds of services for keeping (or getting) in shape, besides offering great places to work out!

Intramural Sports: TTU is really into intramural sports! Find a group of friends and look for signs each season to sign up for softball, football, basketball, wrestling, volleyball, and lots more! Call the Intramural Office at (931) 372-3907 or check out the Intramural website.

Finances (back to top)

The Financial Aid Office is located in RUC 214. There are four different kinds of financial aid (scholarships, loans, grants, and work study). You need to apply for financial aid between January 1st and March 15th for the upcoming Fall semester.

Health Services (back to top)

Open Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM to 5:00 PM. If you are feeling ill or have a minor injury, need an allergy shot, need testing or treatment for a sexually transmitted disease, or would like an HIV/AIDS test, go here first! Medicines and lab tests are inexpensive, and their services are FREE! Health services is closed during holidays, vacations & weekends.

Housing (Residential Life) (back to top)

The Residential Life office is located in MS Cooper Room 217. Freshmen are required to live in the residence halls for 4 semesters unless their home is within 50 miles of campus. There is no curfew. So residents may come and go as they please, although all exterior doors are locked at midnight (earlier during break periods). Please carry your Eagle Card and room key with you at all times. There are also some limits on the hours when visitors of the opposite sex are allowed in the residence halls. Each guest must check in and out of the residence hall at the designated location in each lobby. Visitation privileges for all residence halls are 11:00 AM - Midnight Sunday through Thursday and 11:00 AM - 1:00 AM Friday through Saturday. We would also like to suggest viewing the ResLife 411 document for more information on what items to bring for the residence halls and the TTU Living/Learning Villages.

TTU Media (back to top)

The TTU student radio station which is WTTU, FM 88.5, located on 3rd floor of RUC. The Oracle is the student led school newspaper that comes out on Fridays 9 times a semester. You can pick up a copy on the bottom floor of the RUC and other places around campus. The Eagle is the Free TTU yearbook provided in CD-ROM format. The Oracle and Eagle offices are located on the 3rd floor of the RUC.

Pride Partners (TTU Discounts) (back to top)

Many businesses choose to offer Pride discounts to anyone showing support for the university. Of course, students, faculty and staff all can take advantage of the savings. Save money by showing a TTU I.D. or, in many cases, just wearing purple and gold or mentioning your TTU Pride!

Registration Information (back to top)

PRE-REGISTRATION: You can find a list of available class section here. Once you have planned out your next semester's schedule you should receive notices about meeting with your advisor. Your advisor's role is to help you pick out your classes for the next term. The week after advisement, you can register for classes using Eagle Online. Your bill can also be paid online after you register for classes and all fees have calculated.

TRADITIONAL REGISTRATION: This type of registration occurs on the last business day before classes start. You have to get advised, register using Eagle Online, and pay all on the same day.

CHANGING YOUR CLASSES: Each semester there are deadlines for adding or dropping classes. Check the online calendar for the dates.

ENGLISH COURSES NOTE: Required freshman English courses (1010, 1020) cannot be dropped, but sophomore English courses (2010, 2020, 2210) can. You must have at least a C to advance in 1000 level English courses.

TTU Student ID Cards (back to top)

Your first TTU ID (Eagle Card) is free. There is a $10 charge for replacement IDs which you can have made in the Eagle Card Office on the 2nd floor of the RUC (room 230). Your Eagle Card will be coded with your access to your Residence Hall and your meal plan (if you have one).

Why else do you need an ID? FREE STUFF! With a TTU Eagle Card, if you've registered for 6 or more hours, you can attend every home basketball game, baseball and football game for FREE, check out books from the library, and come and go as you please in the Recreation & Fitness Center.

TTU Student Information (back to top)

To find out a student's phone number or TTU Box, call (931) 372-3223 from 8:00AM - 4:30PM, Monday through Friday. After 4:30PM and on weekends - dial "0" (on campus) or (931) 372-3101. You can also go by the Information Desk on the first floor of the RUC. The TTU Directory is now online and accessible by going to the TTU Website and using the search box.

Transferring Class Credits (back to top)

Records and Registration determines transfer credits, then gives them to the Dean of your College for evaluation if there are any questions. You can check with your advisor or with Records and Registration for a transfer credit report. Records and Registration is located on the first floor of Derryberry Hall.

University Library (back to top)

All you need is your Eagle Card to check-out books, CDs, and movies from the library. There are many services offered by the library including research advice, Interlibrary Loans, a computer center, and group study rooms. If you need help in the Library, just ask the reference desk as you walk in the door.

University Police (back to top)

The TTU Police department provides many services to the University, including general campus security, crime prevention, "locksmithing" when keys are locked in cars, jump starts for dead batteries, and parking regulations (and ticket appeals). They are always open.

How can I get Cash on Campus? (back to top)

There are two ATMs located on campus. One is located on the Ground Floor of the Roaden University Center and the other is in the Hooper Eblen Center.

Apply Now