Ahmed H Elsawy, PhD in Mechanical Engineering
- Research Interests
- Development of Materials and Manufacturing Processes
- Welding Engineering and Metallurgy
- Recycling and Reuse of Industrial Solid Waste Materials
- Web-based Distance Learning
- Renewable Energy and Sustainability
- K.M. Ibrahim, M.M. Ibrahim, A.A. Nofal and A.H. ElSawy, “Effect of Alloying Addition and Two-Step Austempering on Microstructure and Mechanical Properties of Ductile Iron,” MDP-9.Conference, Mena-House Oberoi, Cairo, Egypt, January 8 - 10, 2008.
- K. M. Ibrahim and A.H. ElSawy, “ Enhancement Abrasion Resistance of Ductile Cast Iron by Applying Two-Step Austempering Process, ” Proceedings of the 15 th International Colloquium Tribology, Automotive and Industrial Lubrication, Technishe Akademie Asslingen (TAE), Stuttgart/Ostfildern, Germany, January 17-19, 2007.
- K. M. Ibrahim and A.H. ElSawy , “Enhancement abrasion Resistance of Ductile Cast Iron by Applying Two-Step Austempering Process,” Proceedings of the 15 th International Colloquium Tribology, Automotive and Industrial Lubrication, Technishe Akademie Asslingen (TAE), Stuttgart/Ostfildern, Germany, January 17-19, 2007.
- K. M. Ibrahim and A.H. ElSawy , “Influence of Graphite Morphology and Matrix Structure on Fatigue Strength and Wear Resistance of Ductile Cast Iron," Ductile Iron Society annual meeting to be held in Birmingham, Alabama, June 21-23, 2006. http://www.ductile.org/magazine/2006_2/influence.htm
- I. Fidan, A. ElSawy , "The Development of a Knowledge-Based Tool for CNC Machining," International Journal of Engineering Education , v. 18, n. 6, pp. 732-735, 2002.
- I. Fidan, A. ElSawy , "Computer Aided Design and Analysis of Hydraulics Systems in an Applied Fluid Power Technology Course," Computers in Education Journal , v. 11, n. 1, pp. 34-38. 2001.
- A. ElSawy , "Characterization of the GTAW fusion line phases for Superferritic stainless steel weldments" Journal of Materials Processing Technology , Elsevier, Vol. 118, pp. 128-132, 2001.
- N. Fritz, A. ElSawy , K.-H. Modler, & H. Goldhahn, "Simulation of mechanical drives with EASY5 ® ", Journal of Computers and Industrial Engineering , Pergamon Press, Vol. 37, Nos1-2, pp. 231-234, October 1999 .
- Ahmed ElSawy, “ Use of Solid By-Products in Wood/Cement Blocks ”, presented in 7th annual East Tennessee Environmental Conference: Health, Industry, Economics, Environment, held in Meadowview Conference Resort and Convention Center, Kingsport, Tennessee on March 18th & 19th, 2008.
- K. M. Ibrahim and A.H. ElSawy, “ Influence of Graphite Morphology and Matrix Structure on Fatigue Strength and Wear Resistance of Ductile Cast Iron, " Ductile Iron Society annual meeting to be held in Birmingham, Alabama, June 21-23; 2006.
- A. ElSawy and J.Biernacki, “ Sustainable Development of Thermally and Acoustically Efficient Structural Walls Incorporating Solid Waste Materials“, Green Engineering: Defining the Principles Conference , SanDestin Resort and Golf Club, May 18-22, 2003.
- Faculty Mentor with Dr. Mohamed Abdelrahman (PI), “ TTU's Metal Casting REU Site Project - Methods of Improving the Quality and Cost of Metal Castings ” Three years projects, Summers 2006-09.
- Co-Principal Investigator with Dr. Joseph Biernacki (PI), “ Manufacturing of Lightweight Aggregate from Fly-ash ,” TVA, for Year 1 April 7, 2005 – March 31 - $46,723 ; and for year 2 May 9, 2005 – October 31, 2007 - $48,534 .
- Principal Investigator, " Innovative technology for improving wear resistance and fracture toughness of austempered ductile iron used for automotive industry by either thermomechanical or two-step austempering processes ,” $51,500.00, NSF 03-559, September 2004-August 2006.
- Principal Investigator, “ Improving Fatigue Strength Of Austempered Ductile Iron Used For Automotive Parts By Cold Rolling ,“ $3,000.00 Faculty Research Grant, Fall 2004 and Spring 2005 release time.
- Co-Principal Investigator, “ Development of a Non-Contact Sensor for Measuring Chemical Composition in Molten Iron ”, $6,000, Tennessee Technological University's Faculty research grant, Fall 2001 & Spring 2002 release time.
- Co-Principal Investigator, " Integrating Rapid Prototyping Technology into Tennessee Technological University's Manufacturing and Industrial Technology Curriculum ," $85,501, National Science Foundation (# DUE-0311586).
- Syed Azam Mohiuddin, “ A Study of Thermal Behavior of Fibrous Insulation ”, Ph.D. Dissertation in Mechanical Engineering, Tennessee Technological University, May 2007. (Co-advisor with Dr. Munukutla)
- Ramesh Avula, “ Effect of Using Sawdust as Fine Aggregate Substitute on the Properties of Concrete Composite ,” M.S. Thesis in Chemical Engineering, Tennessee Technological University, 2003. (Co-Advisor with Dr. Biernacki )
- Pannirselvam Muthukumaraswany, “ Thermal, acoustics and mechanical properties of concrete composites containing solid by-products, ” M.S. Thesis in Chemical Engineering, Tennessee Technological University, 2004. (Co-Advisor with Dr. Biernacki)
- Anil Vazrala, “ Development of a Process for Production of Lightweight Aggregate from TVA F Fly Ash ,” M.S. Thesis in Chemical Engineering, Tennessee Technology University, 2006. (Co-Advisor with Dr. Biernacki)
- Albert Wilson, “Development of Light Weight Aggregate from Fly Ash” M.S. Thesis in Chemical Engineering, Tennessee Technological University, In progress (Co-Advisor with Dr. Biernacki)
- Andrew Edmiston, “ Improving Fatigue Properties of Austempered Ductile Iron ” Austempering Process,” M.S. Thesis in Mechanical Engineering, Tennessee Tech University, in Progress. (Co-Advisor with Dr. Wilson)
- Journal of Materials Processing Technology , Elsevier
- The Technology Interface Journal – The Electronic Journal for Engineering Technology. http://engr.nmsu.edu/~etti/
- the Journal of Industrial Technology ( JIT ) and the International Journal of Modern Engineering (IJME )
Professional Organizations Membership
- Sigma Xi the Scientific Research Society: President of TTU's Chapter for the year 2007-08.
- Past member of American Society for Manufacturing Engineers (SME) – (Chair, Chapter 200 of the Upper Cumberland Plateau years 2004, 2005, and 2006).
- American Welding Society (AWS).
- American Association of Industrial Technology (NAIT) – Accreditation visiting Team Member.
- Society of Automotive Engineers (SAE) – Co-advisor for TTU's Formula SAE Club with Dr. Glen Johnson