COOKEVILLE, Tenn. (Oct. 29, 2008) — An autumn chill may be in the air, but the atmosphere at Tennessee Tech University will be a tropical paradise for Homecoming 2008, set for the weekend of Nov. 7-8.
Friday, Nov. 7
• The Athletics Hall of Fame awards ceremony and dinner will be held at 6:30 p.m. in the Multipurpose Room of the Roaden University Center. The cost is $25, and reservations are required. For reservations, call TTU Athletics at 931/372-3940.
• Minority Affairs’ “Divine Steps to Paradise” Step Show is set for 7:30 p.m. in Derryberry Auditorium. Tickets are $10 in advance and $15 at the door. For more information, call the Office of Minority Affairs at 931/372-3392.
Saturday, Nov. 8
• The Homecoming parade begins at 10:30 a.m., and its route runs along Dixie Ave. from Spring St. to 12th Street. Men’s and women’s basketball coaches Mike Sutton and Amy Brown have been selected as this year’s Grand Marshals.
• An Open House for TTU’s Habitat for Humanity build will be held from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. on 12th Street, across from the stadium parking lot. The event will offer the opportunity to meet Habitat for Humanity representatives and tour the house that TTU faculty, staff and students helped to build.
• After the parade and before the game, enjoy a tailgate lunch, college and faculty displays, kids’ activities and giveaways from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. in Regions Tailgate Park, located behind Tucker Stadium. Cost of the lunch is $5, and reservations are not required. The biology department will feature a live snake display, unless the weather is too cold, and the chemistry department will be providing samples of its award-winning liquid nitrogen ice cream and giving away balloon sculptures.
• “Open to the Eagles,” a men’s hoops scrimmage, is set for 11:15 a.m. to 12:45 p.m. in the Eblen Center. The new Golden Eagle basketball players will be playing with last year’s returnees.
• The featured event, of course, is the Homecoming football game. The Golden Eagles take on Jacksonville State, with a 1:30 p.m. kickoff in Tucker Stadium.
For more information about TTU Homecoming events, go to www.ttualumni.org