Fraternity loses house to fireHomecoming celebrations last weekend turned somber for some students after a fire burned through the top two floors of the Kappa Sigma fraternity house on North Walnut Avenue early last Saturday morning.
Five students and one alumnus were treated at Cookeville Regional Medical Center for smoke inhalation, one of them also suffering from minor burns. Three were released, and three were held overnight for observation. The fire is believed to have started in some electrical wiring in the room of one of the students.
"We are thankful that no students were seriously injured in this terrible accident," says President Bob Bell. "We'll do everything we can to make sure these students have a comfortable and safe place to stay."
Campus officials have readied a vacant dormitory for the 11 students who were living in the house, and other fraternities have provided blankets, food and supplies for the Kappa Sigma students.
Our Office of Residential Life is also purchasing bed linens, pillows and comforters for the 11 students who lost their belongings in the blaze.The displaced students are also receiving help replacing their lost books and supplies from the university and bookstore, as well as alumni. The Office of Student Orientation & Greek Life is accepting donations for other supplies; call 931-372-3237.