TTU arts roundup: Craft Center student hosts senior glass exhibition
Tennessee Tech University senior Matt Thomas will show off his glass art in an exhibition in Gallery One of the Appalachian Center for Craft.
The exhibition, "Encapsulated," will be open from Wednesday, Dec. 7, through Saturday, Dec. 11. A reception is scheduled from 4:30 p.m. to 6:30 p.m. on Saturday, Dec. 10.
The mixed media show uses carnival themes to represent childhood experiences and dreams.
The exhibition serves as a measure of accomplishment for the Bachelor of Fine Arts senior thesis, and requires high standards of professionalism in preparation, design and execution.
The Center for Craft, a satellite campus of TTU, promotes excellence in American craft by teaching tradition and innovation in technique, concept and design.
The Appalachian Center for Craft is conveniently located approximately six miles from Interstate 40 at exit 273 (Smithville/McMinnville). Go south on Hwy. 56; turn left immediately after crossing Hurricane Bridge. This drive leads to the Craft Center.
For more information, visit www.tntech.edu/craftcenter or call 931-372-3051.
TTU Arts Roundup:
Appalachian Center for Craft
- Ryan Pate's clay exhibition in Gallery One continues until Monday, Dec. 5, with a reception from 4 p.m. to 6 p.m. on Saturday, Dec. 3.
- Kevin Platt's glass exhibition in the North Windows Gallery opens Tuesday, Dec. 6, and runs until Monday, Dec. 12. His reception is scheduled from 4:30 p.m. to 6:30 p.m., Saturday, Dec. 10.
- Tony Prince's clay exhibition in Gallery One opens Tuesday, Dec. 13, and runs until Monday, Dec. 19. His reception is from 4 p.m. to 6 p.m. Saturday, Dec. 17.
- The Annual Holiday Festival gallery and exhibitions will continue to be open from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. through Friday, Dec. 23.
- The TTU University Orchestra, conducted by Dan Allcott, performs at 7:30 p.m. on Thursday, Dec. 1.
- The TTU Choirs' Candlelight Christmas Concert, conducted by Craig Zamer, is at 7:30 p.m. on Friday, Dec. 2, and Saturday, Dec. 3. Tickets are $5.
- Kappa Kappa Psi's Winter Concert is at 3 p.m. Sunday, Dec. 4.
- Zack Alegria's senior student recital is at 6 p.m. on Sunday, Dec. 4.
- Tyler Dugger's senior student saxophone recital is at 7:30 p.m. Sunday, Dec. 4.
- Capshaw Elementary School's Holiday Chorus Concert is at 6 p.m. Tuesday, Dec. 6.
- Cornerstone Middle School's chorus concert is at 5 p.m. Thursday, Dec. 8.
- The Mastersingers' Christmas Concert, conducted by Craig Zamer, is at 3 p.m. on Sunday, Dec. 11.
The Appalachian Center for Craft is located six miles off Highway 56 (Interstate 40, Exit 273) near Smithville. Hours are 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. daily. The Joan Derryberry Art Gallery is located on the first floor of Roaden University Center and is open to the public from 10 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Monday through Friday. The Backdoor Playhouse is located in Jere Whitson Memorial Building. For more information, call 372-6595. Unless noted otherwise, all concerts are free and take place in the Bryan Fine Arts Building. The concert schedule is subject to change. For more information, call 372-3161.