TTU arts roundup: Focus on Fibers at Appalachian Center for Craft
Students, faculty and both the former and current artists in residence will showcase their work in fiber arts at Tennessee Tech University’s Appalachian Center for Craft through Thursday, Nov. 27 in Gallery One.
Craft Center fibers professor Jeanne Brady selected the pieces to reflect the artists’ varied interests and aesthetic choices. Though all students learn the same weaving, pattern printing and dyeing skills, they develop their own aesthetics.
TTU Arts Roundup:
Appalachian Center for Craft
- Jay Song’s “Spectator,” a metal and mixed media exhibit, is on display in the North Windows gallery of the Appalachian Center for Craft through Oct. 27.
- April Flanders’s “Outbreak Populations,” a printmaking and installation exhibit, is on display in Gallery Two of the Appalachian Center for Craft through Nov. 3.
Joan Derryberry Art Gallery
- Charles Clary’s cut paper wall sculpture exhibit runs until Oct. 27. A gallery talk and reception is scheduled for 4:30 p.m. on Thursday, Oct. 27, also in the gallery.
- Frederick Kennedy’s tenor faculty voice recital is scheduled for 7:30 p.m. Thursday, Oct. 20.
- Ryan Snell’s student tuba recital is scheduled for 7 p.m. Friday, Oct. 21.
- The Contrabass Tuba Quartet and the Honors Trio will perform student recitals at 8 p.m. Friday, Oct. 21.
- Alex Hill’s student tuba recital is scheduled for 7 p.m. Saturday, Oct. 22.
- The TTU Euphonium Choir and Freshman Ensemble will perform at 8 p.m. Saturday, Oct. 22.
- Katie Holzer’s senior student recital is at 1 p.m. Sunday, Oct. 23.
- A Saxophone student recital is scheduled for 2 p.m. Sunday, Oct. 23.
- April Tripp’s senior oboe recital is at 7 p.m. Monday, Oct. 24.
- The TTU Choirs, conducted by Craig Zamer, perform at 7:30 p.m. Tuesday, Oct. 25.
The Appalachian Center for Craft is located six miles off Highway 56 (Interstate 40, Exit 273) near Smithville. Hours are 9 a.m.-5 p.m. daily. The Joan Derryberry Art Gallery is located on the first floor of the Roaden University Center and is open to the public from 10 a.m.-4:30 p.m. Monday through Friday. The Backdoor Playhouse is located in Jere Whitson Memorial Building. For more information, call 372-6595. Unless noted otherwise, all concerts are free and take place in the Bryan Fine Arts Building. The concert schedule is subject to change. For more information, call 372-3161.