TTU arts roundup: Joan Derryberry Art Gallery features sculptures from Atlanta artist Mike Wsol
Mike Wsol, an assistant professor at Georgia State University, will bring his architectural and artistic abilities to Tennessee Tech’s Joan Derryberry Art Gallery this month.
His exhibit begins Monday, Feb. 13, and ends with a gallery talk and reception at 4:30 p.m. Thursday, March 1.
Wsol’s uses traditional sculpting methods and computer-aided drafting and output devices to create his art, which is inspired by architectural design, landscape architecture and urban planning.
TTU Arts Roundup:
Appalachian Center for Craft
- Rob Jackson’s “The Eloquent Nail,” a jewelry exhibition, continues until Monday, April 2, in the North Windows Gallery.
- Harlan Butt’s “National Park Series,” an enamel on metal series, continues until Friday, Feb. 17, in Gallery One.
- Nathan Hansen’s “Vestiges,” a wooden machine installation, continues until Friday, March 2, in Gallery Two.
The Backdoor Playhouse
- Oedipus Rex opens at 8 p.m. Thursday, Feb. 9, and continues at 8 p.m. Feb. 9-11, 13-14, 17-18. A late show is at 10 p.m. on Thursday, Feb. 16, with a 2 p.m. matinee on Saturday, Feb. 18.
- The Brass Arts Quintet performs at 7:30 p.m. Thursday, Feb. 9.
- Trombones at Tech: Pops Night for Trombone is at 7 p.m. Friday, Feb. 10.
- Phillip Shapiro’s junior trumpet recital is at 7 p.m. Saturday, Feb. 11.
- Mark Collins’ senior percussion recital is at 4 p.m. Sunday, Feb. 12.
- Wonkak Kim’s faculty recital is at 7 p.m. Sunday, Feb. 12.
- Pops Night for Trumpet is at 7:30 p.m. Monday, Feb. 13.
- Wonkak Kim’s faculty clarinet recital is at 7:30 p.m. Tuesday, Feb. 14.
- The TTU Symphony Band, conducted by Joseph Hermann, performs as part of the 2012 Festival of Winds and Percussion at 7:30 p.m. on Tuesday, Feb. 17.
- The Bryan Symphony Orchestra, conducted by Dan Allcott and featuring guest violin soloist Noe Inue, performs at 3 p.m. Sunday, Feb. 19.
The Appalachian Center for Craft is located six miles off Highway 56 (Interstate 40, Exit 273) near Smithville. Hours are 9 a.m.-5 p.m. daily. The Joan Derryberry Art Gallery is located on the first floor of the Roaden University Center and is open to the public from 10 a.m.-4:30 p.m. Monday through Friday. The Backdoor Playhouse is located in Jere Whitson Memorial Building. For more information, call 372-6595. Unless noted otherwise, all concerts are free and take place in the Bryan Fine Arts Building. The concert schedule is subject to change. For more information, call 372-3161.