TTU arts roundup: Poet Anne Waldman here Dec. 2American Beat poet Anne Waldman will offer a reading and lead a workshop at Tennessee Tech University as part of English instructor Andy Smith's Living Writers Project.
Waldman is the latest in a series of writers who have visited campus this year to speak to American literature students and the public.
Waldman has been an active member of the "Outrider" experimental poetry community for more than 40 years as writer. In 1974 she co-founded The Jack Kerouac School of Disembodied Poetics with Allen Ginsberg.
She is the author of more than 40 books of poetry including "Kill or Cure," "Marriage: A Sentence," "Structure of the World Compared to a Bubble," and the poetic text "Outrider." "Manatee/Humanity" (Penguin Poets, 2009) is Waldman's most recent book.
TTU arts roundup:
Joan Derryberry Art Gallery
• Oil painter Todd McDonald's exhibit visits the gallery through Nov. 30. A gallery talk with the artist is 4:30 p.m. Tuesday, Nov. 30, in the gallery. This is a Center Stage event.
Appalachian Center for Craft
• Jessica Reneger Webster's bachelor of fine arts senior thesis exhibition in clay, Dec. 1-6, Gallery One. An artist's reception is set for 4:30 p.m. to 7 p.m. Saturday, Dec. 4.
• Deborah Tuggle's bachelor of fine arts thesis exhibition, Nov. 30 to Dec. 6, Gallery Two. Opening reception on Saturday, Dec. 4, between 4:30 p.m. and 7:00 p.m.
• Faculty Jazz Recital, 7:30 p.m. Monday, Nov. 29, Wattenbarger Auditorium.
• Brass Arts Quintet Holiday Concert, 7:30 p.m. Tuesday, Nov. 30, Wattenbarger Auditorium.
• University Orchestra Concert, 7:30 p.m. Thursday, Dec. 2, Wattenbarger Auditorium.
• TTU Candlelight Christmas Concert, Friday and Saturday, Dec. 3 and 4, 7:30 p.m. each evening, Wattenbarger Auditorium. Admission: $5. Call 931-372-3175 for information. Parking for the concert will be provided in the gravel lot directly across from the Bryan Fine Arts Building as well as at the parking lot to the immediate south.
• Landon Spangler, senior percussion recital, 3 p.m. Sunday, Dec. 5, Wattenbarger Auditorium.
• Andrew Pollard, senior guitar recital, 5 p.m. Sunday, Dec. 5, Wattenbarger Auditorium.
• Mastersingers Concert, 7:30 p.m. Friday, Dec. 10, Wattenbarger Auditorium.
• Mastersingers Concert, 3 p.m. Saturday, Dec. 11, Wattenbarger Auditorium.
• String Program Concert, 6 p.m. Tuesday, Dec. 14, Wattenbarger Auditorium.
The Appalachian Center for Craft is located six miles off Highway 56 (Interstate 40, Exit 273) near Smithville. Hours are 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. daily. The Joan Derryberry Art Gallery is located on the first floor of the Roaden University Center and is open to the public from 10 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Monday through Friday. The Backdoor Playhouse is located in Jere Whitson Memorial Building. For more information, call 931-372-6595. Unless noted otherwise, all concerts are free and take place in the Bryan Fine Arts Building. The concert schedule is subject to change. For more information, call 931-372-3161.