TTU arts roundup: Trujillos exhibit at Derryberry Gallery
Tapestries by married couple Irvin and Lisa Trujillo are on exhibit at the Joan Derryberry Art Gallery beginning Monday, March 12.
Irvin Trujillo is a seventh generation Rio Grade Weaver from New Mexico. His work has been exhibited across the county and internationally, including at the National Museum of American History in Washington, D.C., and Uzbekistan.
After her marriage, Lisa Trujillo began weaving and has developed a talent for weaving more complex designs. She brings her own non-Hispanic background to a traditionally Spanish form of weaving.
The Trujillos will present a workshop from 1:15 p.m. to 4:15 p.m. Wednesday, April 4, at the Appalachian Center for Craft. They will hold a lecture about Rio Grande weaving at 3 p.m. Thursday, April 5, in Bryan Fine Arts room 374 on the main campus.
A gallery talk and reception for them is at 11 a.m. Thursday, April 5, in the Roaden University Center.
TTU Arts Roundup:
Appalachian Center for Craft
- The Annual resident artist exhibition opens Monday, March 12, in Gallery Two.
- Rob Jackson’s “The Eloquent Nail,” a jewelry exhibition, continues until Monday, April 2, in the North Windows Gallery.
- The Juried Bachelor of Fine Art Exhibition, featuring various media runs until Friday, April 6, in Gallery One.
- Derek Cunningham’s student tuba recital is at 7 p.m. Monday, March 12.
- Patrick Curry’s student tubal recital is at 8 p.m. Monday, March 12.
- TTU’s Faculty Jazz Ensemble performs at 7:30 p.m. Wednesday, March 14.
- TTU’s Chorale performs at 7:30 p.m. Thursday, March 15.
- The Freshman Tuba Ensemble and quartets perform at 6 p.m. Friday, March 16.
- Bill Glesias’ student tuba recital is at 7 p.m. Friday, March 16.
- Ryan Snell’s student tuba recital is at 8 p.m. Friday, March 16.
- Benjamin Bjork and Annie Short’s student saxophone recitals are at 1 p.m. Saturday, March 17.
- Courtney Tucker’s student clarinet recital is at 3 p.m. Saturday, March 17.
- The Euba Tuba Quartet and Les Tubas Quartet’s recital is at 6 p.m. Saturday, March 17.
- Briana Engelbert’s euphonium student recital is at 7 p.m. Saturday, March 17.
- Preston Light’s student tuba recital is at 8 p.m. Saturday, March 17.
- The Bryan Symphony Orchestra performs at 3 p.m. Sunday March 18.
- Josh Voile’s student voice recital is at 7 p.m. Sunday, March 18.
- Josh Mayberry’s student tuba recital is at 8:15 p.m. Sunday, March 18.
The Appalachian Center for Craft is located six miles off Highway 56 (Interstate 40, Exit 273) near Smithville. Hours are 9 a.m.-5 p.m. daily. The Joan Derryberry Art Gallery is located on the first floor of the Roaden University Center and is open to the public from 10 a.m.-4:30 p.m. Monday through Friday. The Backdoor Playhouse is located in Jere Whitson Memorial Building. For more information, call 372-6595. Unless noted otherwise, all concerts are free and take place in the Bryan Fine Arts Building. The concert schedule is subject to change. For more information, call 372-3161.