TTU arts roundup: TTU Backdoor Playhouse presents Winter 2012 production of Oedipus Rex
Sophocles’ Oedipus Rex opens at 8 p.m. on Thursday, Feb. 9, at Tennessee Tech University’s Backdoor Playhouse.
First performed in Athens around 430 B.C., Oedipus is one of the most famous tragedies ever written. It explores themes such as fate vs. free will, guilt and shame and sight vs. blindness, all set around the central character Oedipus, king of Thebes.
The production is the second of three to mark the Tech Players’ 57th season at the Playhouse. The official drama club of TTU, the Tech Players was founded in 1954 by English instructor Dorothy Printz Pennebaker.
TTU student Matt Wilson is the show’s director.
Performances are at 8 p.m. on Thursday through Saturday, Feb. 9-11, Monday and Tuesday, Feb.13-14 and again on Friday and Saturday, Feb. 17-18. There will be a show at 10 p.m. Thursday, Feb. 16 and a matinee at 2 p.m. Saturday, Feb. 18.
TTU Arts Roundup:
Appalachian Center for Craft
- Rob Jackson’s “The Eloquent Nail,” a jewelry exhibition, opens Friday, Feb. 3, in the North Windows Gallery and continues until Monday, April 2.
- Harlan Butt’s “National Park Series,” an enamel on metal series, continues in Gallery One until Friday, Feb. 17.
- Nathan Hansen’s “Vestiges,” a wooden machine installation, continues in Gallery Two until Friday, March 2.
Joan Derryberry Art Gallery
- Morgan Craig’s paintings exhibit continues until Thursday, Feb. 9, with a gallery talk and reception at 4:30 p.m.
- Wonkak Kim’s students’ clarinet recital is at 7:30 p.m. Thursday, Feb. 2.
- A flute concert by Center Stage guest artist Lisa Garner-Santa’s is at 7:30 p.m. Friday, Feb. 3.
- The Cumberland Quintet performs at 7:30 p.m. Tuesday, Feb. 7.
- The Brass Arts Quintet performs at 7:30 p.m. Thursday, Feb. 9.
- Wonkak Kim’s faculty recital is at 7 p.m. Sunday, Feb. 12.
The Appalachian Center for Craft is located six miles off Highway 56 (Interstate 40, Exit 273) near Smithville. Hours are 9 a.m.-5 p.m. daily. The Joan Derryberry Art Gallery is located on the first floor of the Roaden University Center and is open to the public from 10 a.m.-4:30 p.m. Monday through Friday. The Backdoor Playhouse is located in Jere Whitson Memorial Building. For more information, call 372-6595. Unless noted otherwise, all concerts are free and take place in the Bryan Fine Arts Building. The concert schedule is subject to change. For more information, call 372-3161.