Veteran's Benefits

The Office of the Registrar at Tennessee Technological University will assist veterans and their dependents in reaching their educational goals. The Records staff is your liaison to the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs, and will make every effort to provide speedy educational benefit payment with a minimal amount of difficulty.

Eligibility for Deferment of Payment of Tuition and Fees by Certain Eligible Students Receiving U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs or Other Governmentally Funded Educational Assistance Benefits

Service members, Veterans, and dependents of veterans who are eligible beneficiaries of U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs education benefits or other governmentally funded educational assistance, subject to the conditions and guidelines set forth in Tennessee Code Annotated

49-7-104 as amended, may elect, upon formal application, to defer payment of required tuition and fees until the final day of the term for which the deferment has been requested. Application for the deferment must be made no later than 14 days after the beginning of the term, and the amount of the deferment shall not exceed the total monetary benefits to be received for the term. Students who have been granted deferments are expected to make timely payments on their outstanding tuition and fees balance once education benefits are being delivered, and eligibility for such deferment shall terminate if the student fails to abide by any applicable rule or regulation, or to act in good faith in making timely payments. This notice is published pursuant to Public Chapter 279, Acts of 2003, effective July 1, 2003.


Eligibility for VA educational benefits can be extended to veterans, reservists, spouses and children of service-connected deceased or disabled veterans under the following programs:

The Post-9/11 Veterans Educational Assistance Act of 2008
(Chapter 33)  checklist | FAQ | Transfer of Education Benefits

The Post-9/11 GI Bill is a new educational benefit for individuals with active duty service after September 10, 2001. The new GI Bill

  • Revises transfer of entitlement criteria for certain individuals
  • Increases the monthly rates for the Montgomery GI Bill a of August 1, 2008
  • Expands the period of benefit eligibility for some individuals
  • And much more

Visit to learn more

The Montgomery GI Bill (Chapter 30) checklist

Enlistment after July 1, 1985 is required. The service person must have participated in the pay reduction program. The monthly payment rate will vary with the length and type of service. Monthly self-certification is required to insure benefit payments.

Reservists Montgomery GI Bill (Chapter 1606) checklist

Enlistment or extension for six years of reserve duty after July 1, 1985 is required, and does not require a contribution by the service member. You may be entitled to receive up to 36 months of educational benefits, which end 10 years from the date you become eligible for the program.

U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs Vocational Rehabilitation Program (Chapter 31)

This program is available to certain veterans who have a service-connected disability of 20 percent or greater. Although the date of entry to active service is not considered, students should use this benefit within twelve years of the date of discharge. Eligibility is determined on a case-by-case basis.

Veterans Educational Assistance Program (Chapter 32) VEAP Post Vietnam Era

Enlistment between January 1, 1977 and June 30, 1985 is required.

Vietnam Era GI Bill (Chapter 34/30)

If your enlistment or delayed enlistment was prior to December 31, 1976, and you remained on active duty until at least July 1, 1987, and received an honorable discharge, you may be eligible to rollover into the Montgomery GI Bill. Eligibility is determined on a case-by-case basis.

Yellow Ribbon Program

Information coming soon.

Sections 901 and 903 Test Programs and the Hostage Relief Act

Individuals who are eligible for these programs are keenly aware of their eligibility. The Office of the Registrar will provide assistance and certification for these programs.

Dependents GI Bill (Chapter 35) checklist

A child or spouse of a service-connected deceased or 100-percent-permanently disabled veteran may be eligible for VA educational assistance. The marital status of a dependent child is not a factor in determining eligibility. Benefits may be used until the dependent has reached the age of twenty-six or for eight years from the date that eligibility is determined, whichever is later.

To Apply for Benefits

Consult the Office of the Registrar by telephone, letter, or, better yet, in person. We will give you all the forms you need to apply for your benefits.

For more information regarding VA benefits contact the clerk listed below, according to your last name.

A - D Regina Jackson, Clerk (931) 372-3502 This e-mail address is being protected from spambots, you need JavaScript enabled to view it
E - K Angie Vick, Clerk (931) 372-3503 This e-mail address is being protected from spambots, you need JavaScript enabled to view it
L - Ri Kathy Flatt, Clerk (931) 372-3115 This e-mail address is being protected from spambots, you need JavaScript enabled to view it
Rj - Z Kathy Buckner, Clerk (931)372-3315 This e-mail address is being protected from spambots, you need JavaScript enabled to view it
Phyllis Miller, Supervisor (931) 372-3319 This e-mail address is being protected from spambots, you need JavaScript enabled to view it


Advance Payments

You must apply for advance payment at least thirty days prior to the beginning of the term and allow six to eight weeks for the VA to deliver your check to the University. The advance payment will include payment for the first two calendar months of the term, which usually means payment for a few days of one month and all of the following month. You will be notified when your advance payment check arrives.

Payment Delays

Though the Office of the Registrar tries very hard to speed up the benefit process, you should be prepared for payment delays. Always allow the VA six to eight weeks to process any change in your claim. Allow an additional four to six weeks if your main claim folder must be transferred from one VA regional office to another.

How to Prevent Overpayments and Penalties

An overpayment is an incorrect benefit payment that is more than the amount to which you are entitled. If you promptly notify the Office of the Registrar of changes affecting your benefits, you can prevent or reduce overpayments.

In addition, you should use reasonable judgment when you accept and cash a check. Carefully read all letters from VA about the monthly rate and effective dates of your benefits. If you think a VA check is wrong, contact VA before cashing the check. Return any checks for too much money to VA.

If you cash a check for the wrong amount, you will be liable for repayment of any resulting overpayment.

General Guidelines to Follow Once You Have Enrolled:

  • VA will only pay for courses required in the degree you are seeking; therefore, if you wish to take a course that is not required in the degree you are working toward, you must take it above and beyond the credit hours needed for full VA benefits.*
  • You must have at least 12 hours of required courses in your major to get full VA benefits.
  • VA will only pay benefits for one program at a time. If you are working toward two different degrees and/or programs at the same time, you must choose which one will be your primary program to be reported to VA.
  • VA will only pay for repeating courses with grades of "F," "X," or "U" unless the TTU catalog specifically states that a certain grade is required.
  • You must attend your classes in order to receive VA benefits. If you stop attending a class, the instructor will report non-attendance to the Office of the Registrar and it will report to VA the last day you attended class. VA will adjust your benefits accordingly. Even if you are failing the class, it will be to your benefit to continue attendance.
Apply Now