SPIN Suite | Getting Started
Sponsored Program Information Network (SPIN) Suite: Getting Started
Tennessee Technological University subscribes to InfoEd's SPIN Plus service as the primary database for finding funding opportunities, creating and maintaining expertise profiles, and for automatically retrieving new funding opportunities based on your profile to your inbox. The SPIN Plus service has three components-- GENIUS, SPIN and SMARTS.
InfoEd Technical Support:
TTU Contact: Mark Lynam
GENIUS | Go to: http://www.infoedglobal.com and select Client Login, then select GENIUS
- Click Create a New Profile from the SMARTS/GENIUS main page.
- Highlight Tennessee Technological University and click Select. The New Profile Registration page will appear.
- Enter your first and last name, email address, department affiliation, and a username and password.
- Click Submit. The Profile Summary Page will appear.
- Enter information into as many categories as needed to satisfy your personal requirements under GENIUS Categories on the Profile Summary Page.
- Click Log Out to exit your profile.
Once you create a GENIUS profile, you have control over your profile information and can access your profile at anytime to make changes. To edit your GENIUS profile:
- Click Edit Existing Profile from the SMARTS/GENIUS main page.
- Enter your username and password. Note: This is the username and password that you assigned yourself when you created your GENIUS profile. The Profile Summary Page will appear.
- Edit information within the appropriate GENIUS categories.
SPIN | Go to: http://www.infoedglobal.com and select Client Login, then select SPIN
SPIN provides a modern full-text search that is run against the entire record.
You may search for any component of an opportunity, for example:
- Keyword/Research Interest
- Opportunity Title
- Sponsor Name
- Funding Opportunity Number
- Field/Subject Matter
- Eligible Applicant Types
SPIN users have the ability to filter on several categories, set search options, and use advance parsing techniques to further refine their search.
SMARTS | Use your GENIUS profile to match your search criteria against SPIN on a daily basis and receive relevant funding opportunities via e-mail.
- Click General from the Profile Summary Page, fill out your contact/institution information, and answer the five questions below.
- Question 1 allows you to specify whether you would like prospective partners/collaborators, who find you in GENIUS searches, to contact you directly or make initial contact with your institutional administrator.
- Question 2 allows you to specify whether you want to receive SMARTS matches. To receive SMARTS matches, make sure Yes is selected.
- Question 3 allows you to specify how you would like to receive your SMARTS matches.
- Question 4 allows you to specify whether you want to receive SMARTS output of programs only from U.S. sponsors.
- Question 5 allows you to specify the format in which you would like to receive your SMARTS output: Full Program or Summary Format.
- Click Keywords to select keywords that most closely reflect your research interests.
- Choose categories under Used in SMARTS matching (Applicant Types, Award Types, Geographical Restrictions, Sponsor Types, and Locations Tenable) to tailor search criteria for more targeted SMARTS matches.