Always strive to keep lines of communication open between you and your neighbors in your building. Chances are very good that if something about the living situation is bothering you, it’s also bothering your neighbors. So talk about it.
Community Bill of Rights
The community bill of rights is a reminder to you of your rights as an individual and your responsibility to your fellow community.
- The right to read and study free from undue interference in one's apartment. Unreasonable noise and other distractions inhibit the exercise of this right.
- The right to sleep without undue disturbance from noise, guest(s) of other residents, etc.
- The right to expect that one's personal belongings will be respected.
- The right to a clean environment in which to live.
- The right to free access to one's apartment.
- The right to privacy.
- The right to host guests, with the expectation, those guests are to respect the right of other residents in the complex. Guests must comply with the policies contained in this handbook.
- The right for redress of grievances. The Tech Village staff is available for assistance in settling conflicts and negotiating differences.
- The right to be free from fear of intimidation, physical and emotional harm.
- The right to expect reasonable cooperation in the use of "shared" equipment throughout the complex (playground, etc.) and a commitment to honor agreed-upon living standards (i.e. payment schedules).
- The right to expect reasonable cooperation from other complex residents.
- The right to be free from peer pressure or ridicule regarding one's beliefs, interests and behavior.
The University reserves the right to move you from apartment to apartment or building to building when we determine it is in the best interests of the community, the goals of the Office of Residential Life and/or the University.
The residential life program exists as an integral part of the educational program and academic support services of Tennessee Technological University. The residential life program strives to provide reasonably priced residential facilities and services that are safe, clean, attractive, well maintained and comfortable; to provide a learning environment and related co-curricular programs that address educational, life safety, leadership, diversity and student development; and to provide management services that ensure the efficient and effective administration of all aspects of the program. This is accomplished by organizing activities that address individual needs and interests, developing policies and procedures, administering apartment disciplinary procedures, advocating for students and the training and supervising of residence life staff.
Office of Residential Life
The main administrative Office of Residential Life is located on the second floor of MS Cooper Hall. The office is open from 8:00 am to 4:30 pm, Monday - Friday, during the academic year and 8:00 am to 4:30 pm, Monday - Friday during holidays and summer sessions.
Living in an apartment complex requires respect for other residents. Based on individual rights and responsibilities, these standards ensure the maximum amount of freedom for every member of an apartment community. Your enjoyment of living in an apartment will depend to a large extent on the thoughtful consideration that you demonstrate for other members of your apartment and complex community. Every student has a right to be able to sleep and study in his/her apartment. This right supersedes all other rights that pertain to residential life.
Tech Village Office
The Tech Village office is located in the Tech Village Community Center, 920 Laurel Avenue. The office is open from 8:00 am to 4:30 pm, Monday - Friday. Please contact this office at 931 372 3271 or stop by to inquire about assignments, touring of an apartment or general housing questions pertaining to Tech Village apartment living.
Tech Village Staff
To provide direct services to apartment residents, the Director of Residential Life appoints a staff to serve as the University's representatives in the Tech Village office. The staff is comprised of an Associate Director and Residential Assistants. In essence, this staff is the closest contact a student has between a problem and its solution. The staff members are there to provide a service to you and to help you. Feel free to approach them.