Recommendation Letters & Essays
Some scholarships require additional documents, such as letters of recommendation or essays, for consideration.
The following scholarships require one or more letters of recommendation:
- Agriculture: Agriculture/Human Ecology Ambassadors Scholarship (2 letters)
- Art: Nichols Freshman Art Scholarship (3 letters from high school teachers, 1 of whom must be an art teacher. Windgate Scholarship (1 letter). The Windgate Scholarship and Bacchanal Scholarship require the submission of a portfolio. For information on the specific portfolio requirements, visit www.tntech.edu/art/scholarships.
- Chemistry (including Pre-Professional Majors): Chemistry Scholarship (1 letter)
- Education: Rosemary Piepmeier DeBerry Scholarship (4 letters for incoming freshmen, one each from the following: minister, principal, counselor, and teacher. If you are selected as a finalist for this scholarship, you will be contacted about the letters at that time. You do not need to submit them when you apply.)
- Engineering/Computer Science: All Engineering and Computer Science scholarships for incoming freshmen and transfer students require 2 letters, one from a Math teacher and one from a Science teacher. "Incoming freshman" and "transfer student" implies your status as of Fall 2014/Spring 2015. If you are a currently enrolled student at TTU now, you do not need to submit letters of recommendation.
- Exercise Science Physical Wellness: Johnny and Dorothy "Dot" Miller Scholarship (2 letters from EXPW faculty)
- Human Ecology: All Human Ecology scholarships require 2 letters
- Music: R. Winston Morris Brass Instrumental Scholarship (3 letters)
- Physics: All Physics scholarships require one letter from a Math or Science teacher for incoming freshmen and 3 letters for transfer students. The Frederick L. Culp Physics Scholarship for incoming freshmen requires 3 letters.
- Dr. John Marvin Byrom Memorial Scholarship: Any current student wishing to be reviewed for the Dr. John Marvin Byrom Memorial Scholarship should submit 2 letters -- one from a community leader and one from a faculty member
- Phi Theta Kappa Scholarship: Any transfer student wishing to be reviewed for the Phi Theta Kappa Scholarship should submit a letter of recommendation from his/her Phi Theta Kappa advisor.
- Mildred Frankie Mills Memorial Scholarship: Any incoming freshman or transfer student who wishes to be reviewed for the Mildred Frankie Mills Memorial Scholarship should submit a letter of recommendation from his or her religious organization, indicating regular attendance for the last 2 years.
To view the criteria for a scholarship, use the "Search Scholarships" feature within ScholarWeb. All letters of recommendation must be completed online via ScholarWeb by the recommender. When you apply online for scholarships, you will be asked to list the email address of any person who you wish to submit a letter of recommendation on your behalf. These recommenders will immediately be emailed with instructions on completing a letter of recommendation for you. Once the letter has been completed, you will receive a notification email. You can log back in to your ScholarWeb account to view your status and update your recommenders as often as you wish until January 15, 2014, the deadline for letters of recommendation to be completed. It is the responsibility of you, the student, to ensure that all of your letters of recommendation are submitted by the deadline.
The following scholarships require an essay or portfolio:
- All students must provide a statement of 200 words or less on the following topic: "Describe how a scholarship would help you meet your academic and career goals and explain your need for financial assistance."
- Agriculture/Human Ecology Ambassadors Scholarship: (Agriculture/Human Ecology majors) "What Leadership Means to Me"
- Johna Johns Scholarship: (Agriculture/Human Ecology majors) "Explain your academic objective and career goals in the Agriculture or Human Ecology field" (incoming freshmen) or "From your studies this year, what was the most interesting class? Can you see use for this learned information in a career?" (current students)
- Robert F. Bode Scholarship: (English majors) "Describe your ability to contribute to the cultural, religious, racial, ethnic, and/or sexual diversity of the student body."
- TTU Women's Club Scholarship: (nontraditional students) "What have you been involved in during the last five years before entering or re-entering college? What influenced your decision to go back to school? How would you use this scholarship?"
- Windgate Scholarship and Bacchanal Scholarship: (Fine Arts majors) The Windgate and Bacchanal Scholarships require submission of a portfolio. For information on the portfolio requirements, visit www.tntech.edu/art/scholarships.
To view the criteria for a scholarship, use the "Search Scholarships" feature within ScholarWeb. All essays must be submitted online via ScholarWeb by the scholarship application deadline, December 15, 2013.