New Student Procedure
Tennessee Tech University
PO Box 5166
Cookeville, TN 38505-0001
Phone: (931) 372-6159
FAX: (931) 372-6597
Location: Derryberry Hall Room 304
Office Hours: Mon-Fri 8:00-4:30
To be considered for scholarships at TTU, you must:
Step 1 - Apply for Admission by December 15
- Request that your high school send your transcript as soon as possible, no later than January 15. Most scholarships require a GPA for consideration. We will use a weighted GPA if one is recorded on the official high school transcript.
- Take the ACT by December 14 (SAT by December 7) in order to be considered for scholarships. Scores from ACT tests taken after December will NOT be considered. To ensure that your December scores are received in time to be used for awarding, we recommend that you list TTU as a score recipient on your test.
- All transcripts and test scores should be submitted directly to the Office of Admissions and must be postmarked by January 15. Scholarship determinations will be based off the GPA and ACT score on file as of this date. It is the student's responsibility to ensure that transcripts and ACT scores are received by the Office of Admissions by this deadline so the GPA and score can be used for scholarship consideration.
Step 2 -Apply for Scholarships by December 15 through ScholarWeb.
- You will use your Tech ID Number (T Number) to apply online for scholarships. If you have applied for admission but have not yet received your T Number, you can look it up on Eagle Online. Or, you may use your Web ID (the Admissions username that you created when you applied online for admission.)
- One application makes you eligible for all TTU scholarships for which you meet the criteria. You do not apply for scholarships individually.
- Spring term scholarships will be considered during the same time as Fall. Most scholarships are awarded for the Fall/Spring school year. Therefore, if you do not plan to attend until the following Spring or Summer, you should still complete the application by December 15 prior to the year you wish to attend.
Step 3 - Submit recommendation letters or essays, if applicable.
Review the Recommendation Letters & Essays section to see if your major or any scholarships you wish to be reviewed for require letters of recommendation or an essay. You may also view the criteria and additional requirements for each scholarship by using the "Search Scholarships" feature within ScholarWeb.
- All essays must be submitted online via ScholarWeb by the scholarship application deadline, December 15, 2013
Letters of Recommendation
- All letters of recommendation must be completed online via ScholarWeb by the recommender. When you apply online for scholarships, you will be asked to list the email address of any person who you wish to submit a letter of recommendation on your behalf. These recommenders will immediately be emailed with instructions on completing a letter of recommendation for you. You can log in to your ScholarWeb account at any time to see which letters have been completed for you and which remain outstanding. Within ScholarWeb, you can send reminders to any recommenders who have not yet completed the letter for you. You can also view and update your recommenders as often as you wish until January 15, 2014, the deadline for letters of recommendation to be completed.
Step 4 - Complete the FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid) if you wish to be considered for need-based scholarships.
- Complete the FAFSA (www.fafsa.ed.gov) as soon as possible after January 1. The priority deadline for need-based scholarships through ScholarWeb is March 1.
- The FAFSA is also the official federal document for determining financial need and eligibility for all forms of financial aid in addition to scholarships. If you are eligible for the Tennessee Education Lottery Scholarship, you must complete the FAFSA.
- The FAFSA is processed by the Office of Financial Aid; the Scholarship Office refers to it only for our need-based scholarships. For questions or information about the FAFSA, visit the Financial Aid website.
The following must be completed in order for you to receive a scholarship:
- You must have applied for admission and scholarships at TTU by December 15.
- Most scholarships require that you be enrolled full-time (12 or more hours). Exceptions to this full-time requirement will be indicated within the scholarship criteria on ScholarWeb.
- You must be majoring within the department that offers you a scholarship. The major on file in the Admissions Office will be the major used for scholarship consideration. If you wish to change your major for scholarship consideration, you must do so by January 15th through the Office of Admissions (
- You must have submitted all documents required for scholarship consideration, including ACT scores and transcripts, by the published deadlines.
- Music Performance Scholarships, Athletics Scholarships, ROTC Scholarships, and Honors Program Scholarships are applied for separately from the TTU Scholarship Application within ScholarWeb. Contact the appropriate department for more information on their application process.
If you are selected to receive a scholarship, you will be notified by the awarding department. All scholarships will be awarded by March 15.