June 1-6, 2014
The Southeast Chamber Music Institute offers performance and instructional opportunities in a variety of settings in small homogeneous and mixed ensembles including piano, strings, brass, winds, percussion, and jazz combo (including horns, piano, bass, and drums).
Students will receive a private lesson, master class instruction, and hear concerts by resident faculty artists. A limited number of students can also be accepted for composition lessons with the composer-in-residence, Dr. Greg Danner.
The Institute is open to musicians in grades 9-12 in the 2013-2014 school year. Enrollment is limited to space available.
The artist faculty will coach chamber ensembles, provide individual instruction and perform evening recitals.
The Tennessee Tech campus is centrally located in Cookeville, Tennessee, just off Interstate 40. The beautiful Bryan Fine Arts Building will be the focus of all instructional and performance activity, with dormitory and cafeteria facilities only one block away.
Tuition charges of $435 cover all instruction, evening concerts, a social evening, dormitory housing, meals, and an Institute t-shirt. A deposit of $50 (included in tuition costs) is required, and must be received to hold your place. The deposit is non-refundable unless the student is not accepted for enrollment.
The Institute will evaluate all application materials and inform students of acceptance and scholarship decisions by May 12, 2014. All communications will take place via e-mail.
Early Bird Discount
Applications received online through the TTU Marketplace by midnight central time on Monday, April 7, 2014 will receive a $25 Early Bird Discount.
The following scholarships are available to talented students from any state or country:
- $50 for students who have been selected for their TOP regional band or orchestra (MTSBOA, WTSBOA, or ETSBOA), or for pianists who have received a MTNA "Good" rating.
- $50 additional scholarship for students who have been selected for an All-State band or orchestra OR have been selected to attend their state's Governor's School for the Arts in Music, or for pianists who have received a MTNA “Superior” rating.
- One $50 Studio Award may be offered for each instrument, pending availability. To be considered for this award, you must submit an exceptional recorded audio or video performance of your playing. Selection of music is up to you, but ensemble performances are not acceptable. To qualify, the performance must be:
- No more than 10 minutes
- Audio mp3s may be sent via e-mail
- Videos must be posted to YouTube and should not be e-mailed directly
- Recordings or video links must be received via e-mail by midnight central time on Monday, April 21
- You will receive an e-mail confirmation when your link is received. We are not responsible for e-mails which do not arrive, so please do not wait until the last moment to send your video link.
The application deadline for SCMI 2014 is midnight central time on Monday, May 5th.
The application information form is available online ONLY at http://www.tntech.edu/scmi/application/.
Deposits will be paid online through the TTU Marketplace.
You can also find us on Facebook at http://www.facebook.com/southeastchambermusicinstitute.
Required forms for accepted students will be posted online on this page once acceptances are e-mailed out.
All forms must be completed and brought to registration on Sunday, June 1 along with the remainder of tuition and fees.