National Chemistry Week activities at TTU
The student members of the American Chemical Society and the TTU chemistry department have planned the following activities to celebrate national chemistry week on Oct. 20-26:
Sunday, Oct. 20 – Voting begins for Pie the Professor and TA contest. Voting takes place on the second floor of Foster Hall through Friday.
Monday, Oct. 21 – Green chemistry and solar energy talk by Brian Agee, EVSC PhD student, at 7 p.m. in Foster 220. He will discuss his research in developing solar reactors for organic synthesis.
Tuesday, Oct. 22 – SMACS meeting at 11 a.m. in Foster 220. We are making five gallons of strawberry LN2 ice cream.
Wednesday, Oct. 23 – Mole Day. Activities include:
1. Tag-a-Mole: walk around and tag people on the back with mole stickers!
2. Periodic table of cookies sale outside Foster Hall from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m.
3. Party at Crawdaddy’s starting at 6 p.m.
Thursday, Oct. 24 – Chemical demonstration show at Northeast Elementary School from 8 to 10 a.m. with Dale Ensor, Janet Coonce and ACS students. There will also be an ACS NCW movie night with a showing of “Gattica” at 7 p.m. in Foster 233.
Friday, Oct. 25 – NCW activities with Baxter High School ACS chemistry club from 2 to 4 p.m.
Saturday, Oct. 26 – TTU Homecoming! Activities include:
1. Hands-on chemistry activities for kids during the pre-game tailgate party from 10 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. with chemistry faculty and SMACS students.
2. TTU chemistry alumni reception after the football game in the Foster Chemistry Learning Commons with chemistry faculty and SMACS students.
Sunday, Oct. 27 – Fourth Annual Dangerous Boys Activities at the Cookeville Children’s Museum. 2 to 5 p.m., with setup from noon to 2 p.m.