- Meeting Information
- Registration & Abstract Submission
- Itinerary & Program
- Hotel & Directions
2012 Meeting of the Tennesee Section of American Association of Physics Teachers
Hosted by Millard Oakley STEM Center at Tennessee Tech University
TN-AAPT 2012: March 23 & 24
Welcome to the 2012 Meeting of TN-AAPT
We'll kick-off the weekend on Friday, March 23rd at 6pm with Guest Check-In at TTU's Millard Oakley STEM Center which will be followed by dinner.
After dinner, attendees will enjoy a presentation by Dr. Michael Smith, Head of the Nuclear Astrophysics group at Oak RIdge National Lab.
The lecture is followed by a planetarium-like 'tour of the universe' in the STEM Center's Virtual Theater.
Saturday's session will begin at 8.30am with breakfast, followed by invited and contributing speakers and a short business meeting, continuing after lunch as necessary. There will be a poster session for students, with prizes awarded.
Friday's dinner and breakfast, lunch on Saturday are provided free-of-charge, but reservations are required by Wednesday, March 21. Meal registration is handled through the online registration form.
- Click here for information about other events hosted and/or supported by the Millard Oakley STEM Center >>>
Registration OPEN SOON.
Research, Projects & Posters
- Attendees are invited to submit contributed talks on physics and astronomy research and pedagogy for the meeting program. The presentations will be restricted to 10 minutes in duration with about three minutes for questions.
- Concurrent with the meeting will be a student poster session. Students may present a poster display on a course project or research project in which they are (or have been) involved.
The posters will be judged by meeting attendees and the top two posters, one (1) for the best high school student and one (1) for the best university/college student, will receive prizes during the closing remarks on Saturday afternoon.
Posters can be set up on Saturday morning. A dedicated time will be scheduled on Saturday for attendees to view the posters, when students should be available for questions and discussion, if possible.
Check In & Section Dues
The annual dues of $5, will be taken at Check In on Friday and Saturday at the STEM Center.
Outstanding High School Teacher Award
- Friday's dinner and breakfast, lunch on Saturday are provided free-of-charge, but reservations are required by Wednesday, March 21. Meal registration is handled through the online registration form.
REGISTER HERE FOR THE TN AAPT MEETING
- Click here to access the online register form and submit your abstract.
Click the "back" arrow to return to the TN AAPT web page after submitting your registration.
Print Before You Submit: To maintain a hard copy of your registration and abstract for your files PRINT THE ONLINE REGISTRATION PAGE BEFORE YOU CLICK "SUBMIT". When you "Submit" - the registration is logged and the form will clear.
All Times Central
Friday, March 23
- 6pm - Arrival & Check-in
- 6:30pm - Dinner & Conversation
- 7.30pm - Speaker: Dr. Michael Smith, Astrophysics Group, ORNL
Title: Exploding Stars & The Rare Isotope Facility
- 8.30pm - STEM Center Virtual Theater Experience, To the Edge and Back: A Tour of the Universe
Saturday, March 24
- 8.30am - Breakfast at the STEM Center
- 9am - Program Session I
Invited Talk: Mark Davids / STEM of Modern Communications
- 10:30am - Break
- 10:45am - Program Session II
- 12pm - Lunch & Poster Session
- 1pm - Program Session III / Concluding with Door Prizes
More details coming soon...
Country Inn & Suites
1131 South Jefferson Avenue
Cookeville, TN 38506
A block of rooms has been reserved for TN AAPT meeting attendees. To obtain the special meeting rate of $60 per night, attendees need to call the hotel and mention AAPT or TTU.
NOTE: The $60 rate is available for both nights - Friday, 3/23 and Saturday, 3/24.
Directions & TTU's Campus
The Tennessee Tech campus is approximately a 10-15 minute drive from the hotel - going north on Jefferson Avenue.
- Click here for Directions to the Millard Oakley STEM Center.
- Click here for interactive TTU Campus Map.
Dr. Steve Robinson
Department of Physics
Tennessee Technological University
Cookeville, TN 38505