Is study abroad affordable?

TTU offers many exchange programs with prices similar to the price of attending TTU, plus about $1,000 - $2,000 in additional costs, not including personal spending money. We offer other affordable alternatives and provide a budget sheet for comparing the cost of study abroad to that at TTU.

Students can use their financial aid, including most scholarships, making programs even more affordable. Information about additional scholarships is available. An important part to keeping study abroad affordable is to remain flexible. We have had students intending on going to the UK, but they ended up in Iceland and loved it!

Will I graduate on time?

Yes, if you plan ahead! We can't stress enough the importance of beginning in your freshman year. Students should talk to their academic advisor and tell them that they want to study abroad then plan a semester or year into their schedule. They should then visit our office.

Will I be safe?

Safety is a priority and for that reason TTU is extremely careful about the sites that we offer. But it is still important that students use common sense. We offer safety tips in the Study Abroad Handbook. We also have a list of web sites that provide information on safety in particular countries and areas that have travel warnings. It is mandatory that students register online with the U.S. Embassy/Consulate.

Do I need a passport or visa and where do I get one?

Yes, for international study you will need a passport and depending on where you choose to study and for how long you might need a visa. A student should make several copies of the picture page of the passport. You should carry one with you, separate from the passport, should leave one at home and should file one with our office. If the passport is lost or stolen, having a copy will make it easier to replace.

What happens if the passport is lost?

Please make a photocopy of your passport before you depart and keep it in a separate place.  It will be much easier to replace if you have a photocopy. You should see the on-site program director and contact our office. You will need to visit the U.S. Consulate or Embassy web page for the office nearest you. There you will find instructions on how to replace a passport. The ISIC, mentioned under insurance, includes $250 passport replacement coverage for passports lost or stolen outside of the U.S.

What immunizations are needed?

That depends on where you are going. Check out the Centers for Disease Control (CDC)  and the World Health Organization (WHO).

What happens if I get sick while studying abroad (Insurance)?

Generally, when a traveler gets sick it is nothing more than a common cold or traveler's diarrhea, but on rare occasion it might be something more serious. TTU requires that all students studying abroad obtain health insurance to cover them while abroad.  

We encourage you to check your present insurance to determine if it will cover you internationally. Some companies have offices abroad and you are expected to use the services of that operation. Other companies do not cover anyone who is abroad. Just be sure you know about your coverage and know how to make a claim, and students must have Medical Evacuation and Repatriation benefits.

Where can I book an affordable flight?

There are some affordable flights and you might find some deals at the following links. Student Universe, Kayak or Momondo.

Apply Now