Praxis CORE Waiver Requirements
Office of Teacher Education
College of Education
Tennessee Tech University
Box 5092 • Cookeville, TN 38505
Fax: (931) 372-6286
APPLICATION DEADLINESSpring 2014:January 21st Summer 2014:May 13th Fall 2014 2+2 Program:June 15th
- ALL other requirements for admission to the Teacher Education Program must be met—no exceptions.
If a student fails any section of the Praxis I or Praxis Core tests, ten hours of tutoring is required through approved tutorial support services in order to be considered as eligible for the Praxis Waiver. (ex. TTU Learning Support Center, first floor of Matthews Hall). The 10 hours of tutoring MUST be completed BEFORE the student's last retesting attempt.
Two of the three sections of the Praxis I or Praxis Core must be successfully completed. The following score and GPA range(s) on the failed section of the Praxis tests are required for eligibility:
- If your cumulative GPA is 2.500, you must be within one point of passing.
- If your cumulative GPA is 2.750, you must be within two points of passing.
- If your cumulative GPA is 3.000, you must be within three points of passing.
The student will also need to submit additional paperwork:
- A formal written request for the waiver must be submitted by the student. This letter needs to be about a page in length in a word document explaining why the student believes he/she should be considered for the Waiver. It should include the student's full name and TNumber. It should be addressed to the Teacher Education Committee.
- Letter of Support from the student's adviser must be submitted.
- In addition, the tutoring packet outlining the student's progress attained during the tutoring sessions must be provided by the person or unit providing the required tutorial support.
A decision will be made by the Praxis Waiver Sub-Committee (or their designee). If extenuating circumstances exist, a student may request a personal appearance before the Sub-Committee.
The decision of the Sub-Committee is final.
To set up a Praxis tutoring schedule here at TTU please contact the Academic Development Center at 931-372-3476. These services are free of charge.
Starting July 1, 2014, the Praxis Waiver process will be discontinued. No new request will be accepted starting on that date. Students who begin the process prior to July 1st will be allowed to complete their request.
For more detailed information on the Praxis tests please visit the following website: www.ets.org/praxis