The Tennessee Early Childhood Training Alliance (TECTA) provides FREE 30 hours of Orientation DHS approved training to child care staff and administrators. TECTA Orientation is an academic gateway with a curriculum centered on professional core competencies. Research shows that quality early childhood education plays an important role in preparing children to enter school ready to learn. The key to quality programs is the preparation of personnel with whom young children spend a significant portion of their time. Participation is free to anyone employed in a DHS or DOE licensed program. Certificates of Completion are awarded to those who complete the Orientation training.
Participants may choose from five orientation specializations below:
- Administrator's - For owners, directors and assistant directors
- Center-Based - For providers working with children 3 years to 5 years
- Family Child Care - For Family and Group Home providers
- Infant/Toddler - For providers working with children 6 weeks to 3 years
- School-Age - For providers working with children 5 years to 12 years
- Feel free to print out our Orientation brochure for more information
The TECTA program is designed to provide a career lattice for Tennessee's child care community. Successful completion of any of the Orientation programs qualifies an individual for tuition support from the TECTA program to continues their education at any Tennessee Board of Regents (TBR) college or University
ECE Careers I & II Equivalency:
What does it mean?
As a high school student you have your choice of electives. The Early Childhood Education Careers elective has two components: ECEC I and II. If you choose this elective and complete both of these courses with a grade of ‘B’ or above then you are eligible to receive a certificate from TECTA that confirms that you also meet the standards of the TECTA Center-Based Orientation class.
Normally individuals must complete the 30-hour Orientation class while working in a licensed child care program to receive their TECTA Certificate of Completion. But, because the ECE Careers classes contain an amount of information and training equivalent to the Center-Based Orientation class you qualify to receive a TECTA Certificate of Completion after completing ECEC I and II with a ‘B’ or above. This means that you are eligible for tuition support from TECTA for college coursework in the field of Early Childhood Education beginning your first year of college at any of the Tennessee Board of Regents (TBR) community colleges and universities.
To apply send a completed TECTA Center-Based Orientation/ECE Careers I & II Application with a copy of your high school transcript to:
Attn: Ms. Tiffany Rhodes
Tennessee Early Childhood Training Alliance
Tennessee State University
3500 John A. Merritt Blvd, Box 9500
Nashville, TN 37209
Click on the link to download the HSE Application.
Tennessee Child Care Online Training System
- The Tennessee Child Care Online Training System (TCCOTS) is an eLearning portal which is designed to provide additional child care training options for individuals working in Tennessee Department of Human Services’ licensed child care programs.
To access the TCCOTS e-learning portal, visit www.tccots.com. Certificates for Training are issued after successfully completing each module. These certificates are recognized by the Tennessee Department of Human Services (DHS) as training hours for all staff employed in licensed child care facilities.
Tennessee Early Learning Development Standards
- The Tennessee Early Learning Developmental Standards (TN-ELDS) is an online training which is designed to provide an introduction to and exploration of the TN-ELDS in order to meet the TN Department of Human Services required training on developmental learning for infants, toddlers, and pre-school age children.
- To access the TN-ELDS e-learning portal, visit www.tnelds-traing.com. Certificates for Training are issued after successfully completing each module. These certificates are recognized by the Tennessee Department of Human Services (DHS) as training hours for all staff employed in licensed child care facilities
TECTA is now enrolling students for SPRING 2013 Academic Level Classes
We can help you further your ECED education...click here for more information