Tennessee Tech Advisor Resource SharePoint
Note: Only Tennessee Tech faculty and staff are able to access content provided on this Sharepoint site. If this is your first time accessing this portal, please contact us at email@example.com so we can grant you access.
Advising Notes & Guidelines
National Academic Advising Association (NACADA)
The purpose of the National Academic Advising Association is to promote the quality of Academic Advising in institutions of higher education, and to this end, it is dedicated to the support and professional growth of academic advising and advisors.
NACADA's mission is to promote student success by advancing the field of academic advising globally. NACADA provides opportunities for professional development, networking, and leadership for our diverse membership.
NACADA's website is a comprehensive resource for faculty advisors, professional advisors, and administrators. Those resources include:
- Clearinghouse of Academic Advising Resources: A collection of academic advising articles and information by related topics.
- Professional Development Opportunities: NACADA hosts several conferences, institutes and other seminars at reduced rates for members.
- For those interested in publishing through NACADA, check out this link.
- Research Resources: NACADA also supports and encourages members to conduct research related to academic advising and student success.
- Academic Advising related Publications: NACADA publishes a biannual, refereed NACADA Journal; a quarterly publication, Academic Advising Today; and books and other monographs on Academic Advising. The NACADA Store also has a variety of resources available, such as DVDs.
The Mentor: Academic Advising Journal
The Mentor: An Academic Advising Journal is a peer-reviewed scholarly publication about academic advising in higher education. The goal of the journal is to provide a mechanism for the rapid dissemination of new ideas about advising and for ongoing discourse about advising issues. Toward this goal, articles in the journal are published continuously. The journal is free and published only online.
Books about Academic Advising
Tech's Volpe Library has a number of books related to the scholarship of Academic Advising. Here are a few titles to check out:
- "Comprehensive Advisor Training and Development: Practices that Deliver"
- "Academic Advising Approaches: Strategies that Teach Students to Make the Most of College"
- "Advising Transfer Students: Strategies for Today’s Realities"
- "The New Advisor Guidebook: Mastering Arts of Academic Advising Through the First Year and Beyond"
- "Academic Advising: A Comprehensive Handbook"
- "Academic Advising: New Insights for Teaching and Learning in the First Year"