Excellence in Advising Award
Eligibility for Nomination
- Any individual currently employed by Tennessee Tech University at least half-time (50%) in a position where undergraduate academic advising is the primary role (as designated by job description) or the administration of an academic advising program may be nominated OR any full-time faculty member who has a secondary responsibility to advise undergraduate students.
- All nominees must have completed one year as an undergraduate academic advisor at Tennessee Tech University.
- Previous Excellence in Advising winners are not eligible for a 3-year period from date of award.
- Members of the selection committee are excluded from being nominees.
The selection committee will evaluate nominations on the evidence of qualities and practices that distinguish the nominee as an outstanding academic advisor or faculty advisor.
Such evidence may include:
- Availability to advisees, faculty, and staff
- Caring, helpful attitude toward advisees, faculty, and staff
- Participation in and support of intrusive advising to build strong relationships with advisees
- Frequency of contact with advisees
- Appropriate referral activity
- Strong interpersonal skills
- Ability to engage in, promote, and support developmental advising
- Use and dissemination of appropriate information sources
- Monitoring of student progress toward academic and career goals
- Mastery of institutional regulations, policies, and procedures
- Participation in and support of advisor development programs
- Embrace and utilize new advising technologies to promote student success and retention
- Evidence of administering academic advising which embraces NACADA’s core values - https://www.nacada.ksu.edu/Resources/Pillars/CoreValues.aspx
Nominations can come from anyone within the University community. For example, students may nominate an academic advisor that they have worked closely with; faculty may nominate a professional advisor who has helped; and department chairs may nominate faculty advisors.
Nominations must contain adequate factual or narrative material that describes the extent to which an individual meets the awards criteria.
- A completed nomination form.
- A summary of the nominee’s qualifications wherein the nominator should summarize the extent to which the nominee meets the award criteria, citing letter of support, data, or other materials illustrating exemplary performance as an academic advisor (3 page maximum).
Nominees will be asked to provide the following information (all supporting documents must not exceed 10 pages):
- Resume or vita and list of responsibilities or current job position description.
- A personal statement of advising.
- Letter of support by advisee.
Nominations will be accepted until February 24, 2021.