The School of Human Ecology has a rich history at Tennessee Tech. Over the years we have evolved from a School of Home Economics to the name of “Human Ecology”.
The School of Human Ecology (founded in 1916 as the Domestic Science Department) has 1,800-plus alumni. We seek to promote a strong academic environment so that our graduates are prepared for careers in one or more of the diverse fields of human ecology.
The profession of Human Ecology
Human Ecology is the study of the relationship between individuals, families and communities and the environments in which they live. The field represents many content areas including: child development and family relations; child life; food, nutrition and dietetics; family and consumer sciences education; housing and design; and merchandising and design. Students learn, through theory and practice, how to provide a better quality of life for individuals throughout the life span. Students majoring in Human Ecology at TTU receive practical experience in professional settings such as practicum, field experiences, and/or internships. Read this brochure for more information on the strategic direction of our accrediting agency, the American Association of Family and Consumer Sciences.
Human Ecology Faculty & Staff
Career Opportunities in Human Ecology
TTU Human Ecology graduates work in a variety of places. Some examples are:
Child Development/Family Relations:
- Foster and Adoption Facilitator
- Child Care Center Director
- Children Services Agent
- Child Life Specialist
Nutrition and Dietetics:
- Eligibility to apply to Dietetic Internship to become Registered Dietitian
- Community Nutrition/Fitness and Wellness
Family and Consumer Sciences Education:
- Vocational or Occupational FCS Teacher
- Developmental Agencies
- Department of Human Services/Children’s Services
- Careers in FCS
Housing and Design:
- Residential Design Planner/Consultant
- Housing and Furnishings Specialist
- Sales Representative/Real Estate Agent
Merchandising and Design:
- Clothing and Textiles Specialist
- Fashion Designer
- Merchandise Buyer/Sales Representative/Retail Manager
- Extension Agent
- School Nutrition
- Food Service Manager/Culinary Arts
A current outline of the classes Human Ecology majors take can be found by selecting the Areas of Study link.