The definitions listed below are working definitions used by Project AWAKEN. For the official university policy definitions, consult TN Tech Policy 143*.*Please note, this policy is being updated to reflect current federal guidelines released by the US Department of Education. The new policy should go into effect in mid-August, and will be Policy 144.
- Consent: Consent is a clear and unambiguous agreement to participate in a sexual activity. Consent must be freely given, ongoing, informed, sober, and it can be withdrawn at any time. Past consent does not imply future consent.
- Dating / Domestic Violence: A pattern of abusive behaviors used by one partner over the other in order to maintain power and control.
- Power-based Violence: An umbrella term used by Project AWAKEN which encompasses sexual assault, domestic violence, dating violence, and stalking. This term is used because, although very different, these types of violence are all rooted in the perpetrator's desire to take power and control away from their target.
- Sexual Assault: Any unwanted touching to someone’s breast, butt or genitals and/or any unwanted penetration orally, anally, vaginally or with an object. Sexual assault is all about power and control, and it is never the survivor’s fault. Sexual assault often involves force or coercion and/or drugs or weapons to incapacitate a victim.
- Sexual Misconduct: Sexual misconduct is an umbrella term which encompasses sexual assault, domestic violence, dating violence, and stalking. This term is most often used in reporting procedures.
- Stalking: A willful course of conduct involving repeated or continuing harassment of another individual that would cause a reasonable person to feel terrorized, frightened, intimidated, threatened, harassed, or molested, and that actually causes the victim to feel that way.
- Title IX: Title is a federal law that prohibits any person in the United States from being discriminated against on the basis of sex or be subjected to discrimination from a federally-funded institution, like a public university. The Title IX Coordinator is responsible for investigations of sexual misconduct at Tech. The Title IX Coordinator, Greg Holt, can be reached at (931)372-6062
- Victim or Survivor: A term to refer to the person who has experienced sexual assault, domestic/dating violence and/or stalking. Project AWAKEN tends to use the term "survivor" to focus on the resiliency of the person who has experience this trauma; the criminal justice system tends to use the word "victim."