The definitions listed below are working definitions used by Project AWAKEN. For the official university policy definitions, consult TN Tech Policy 143.
- Consent: Consent is a clear and unambiguous agreement to participate in a sexual activity. Consent must be freely given, ongoing, informed, sober, and it can be withdrawn at any time. Past consent does not imply future consent.
- Sexual Misconduct (Violence): Sexual misconduct/violence is an umbrella term which encompasses sexual assault, domestic violence, dating violence, and stalking.
- Sexual Assault: An unwanted touching to someone’s breast, butt or genitals and/or any unwanted penetration orally, anally, vaginally or with an object. Sexual assault is all about power and control, and it is never the victim’s fault. Sexual assault often involves force or coercion and/or drugs or weapons to incapacitate a victim.
- Dating / Domestic Violence: A pattern of abusive behaviors used by one partner over the other in order to maintain power and control.
- Stalking: A willful course of conduct involving repeated or continuing harassment of another individual that would cause a reasonable person to feel terrorized, frightened, intimidated, threatened, harassed, or molested, and that actually causes the victim to feel that way.
- Responsible Employee: Most Tennessee Tech employees are required by law and/or Tennessee Tech policy to report any disclosures of sexual misconduct to the Title IX Coordinator, Zeva Edmondson.
- Title IX: Title is a federal law that prohibits any person in the United States from being discriminated against on the basis of sex or be subjected to discrimination from a federally-funded institution, like a public university. The Title IX Coordinator is responsible for investigations of sexual misconduct at Tech. The Title IX Coordinator can be reached at (931)372-3112
- Confidential Employee: Any Tennessee Tech employee who is not required by law to report information regarding sexual misconduct to the Title IX Coordinator. Confidential employees at Tech are the counselors at the counseling center and the medical professionals in health services.