Find Help

Find Help

Everyone responds differently to experiencing sexual violence, and there is no right or wrong way to respond to trauma. Healing from trauma is a process that is not linear. If you have experienced trauma, here are some steps you may take to get help:

Go Somewhere Safe

Whether it be your dorm or apartment, a friend’s dorm or apartment, a RA’s room, or Campus Police, get somewhere that you feel safe. 

  • As soon as you are in a safe place, talk to someone you can trust about the incident—such as a family member, friend, or counselor. You can call the Eagle Eye after Hours Crisis Hotline 1-855-206-5997, and you will be connected to a confidential resource to talk to.  
  • The most important thing is to talk with someone who can provide emotional support and help you find the resources you need. 


Seek Medical Attention

You may want to seek medical care following a physical or sexual assault. It is strongly recommended to do so within 120 hours (five days) to preserve any evidence that may be left behind.  

  • A medical professional can examine you, provide appropriate treatment, and, if applicable, talk with you about the prevention of sexually transmitted infections and pregnancy. 
  • If you have experienced sexual assault, when possible, avoid changing your clothing, showering, using the bathroom, brushing your teeth, drinking liquids, washing your hands or face, or combing your hair prior to seeking medical attention. If you change clothes, evidence is best preserved in a paper bag. Preservation of evidence does not mean that you have to pursue criminal charges, but it preserves that option for you. A forensic exam can be performed at the local emergency room by a medical professional. Or, you may get an exam from a specially trained Sexual Assault Nurse Examiners (SANEs) outside of Cookeville. 
  • You may seek medical care by contacting one of the following: Cookeville Regional Medical Center (931) 528-2541; Emergency 911; TnTech Health Services: Bell Hall 105, Monday-Friday 8am-4:30pm; (931)372-3320 (can provide STI testing but cannot preform evidence collection)

Seek Counseling

Many survivors of sexual violence find counseling helpful to process the trauma they've experienced. 

  • Sexual violence is never the survivor’s fault, but often survivors will be impacted by an assault. Every person responds differently, but some survivors may struggle with self-harm, depression, suicidal ideation, post-traumatic stress disorder, and sleep disturbances, among many other things. Counseling may be a good resource to address you as an individual during the healing process.  
  • If you wish to speak confidentially with someone, you can contact one of the following resources:  
    TnTech Counseling Services: RUC 307, Monday-Friday 8am-4:30pm; (931)372-3331 
    Eagle Eye After Hours Crisis Hotline: 1-855-206-8997 
  • A licensed counselor can guide you in exploring options and provide you with information, a listening ear, and emotional support. Whether you seek immediate assistance or choose to wait, counseling can help you deal with the psychological impact and begin the healing process. 


Consider Reporting

Reporting sexual misconduct to law enforcement or the university is a deeply personal choice that only you can make. 

  • The university strongly encourages you to report an incident of sexual misconduct.  Reporting the incident is the only way that the university and/or law enforcement can take action. Having a medical examination performed to ensure your health and document any physical injuries (within five days in sexual assault cases) is a helpful steps in preserving evidence, which can help in a criminal or university investigation; nevertheless, you may report an incident without any medical / forensic evidence. 
  • You may report an incident of prohibited conduct to any of the following: 
    • Tennessee Tech University Office of Title IX 
      Derryberry Hall 256, Monday-Friday 8am-4:30pm;  
    • Law Enforcement Authorities 
      University Police: Foundation Hall; (931)372-3234 
      Cookeville Police Department; (931) 526-2125 
  • You can report an incident to law enforcement before, during, or after an investigation or a resolution of the incident by the university. You have the right to decline to report the incident to law enforcement.  
  • Even if you do not report the incident to law enforcement, you can still access medical care, counseling, and other support from the university. The Title IX coordinator or the Project AWAKEN office can help you access resources.  

Experience Tech For Yourself

Visit us to see what sets us apart.

Schedule Your Visit
Contact Us