Online Writing Tutorial
Welcome to the Easy Access Guide to Language Excellence - EAGLE, a Website designed to help COB students express themselves more clearly and professionally.
Tip 1: Subject-Verb Agreement
Tip 2: Fused Sentence or Comma Splice
Tip 3: Apostrophes
Tip 4: Confusing Pronouns
Tip 5: Incoherent Sentences
The Top Five Tips list explains five of the most common errors in English made by students in theTennessee Tech College of Business. Explanations and examples in each section are followed by quizzes with answers to test understanding of the concepts.
Notes on Communication Problems
- The Top Five list was compiled from the results of ongoing communication assessments and from faculty input. We will make adjustments to the list as we evaluate its effectiveness.
- All writing and speaking errors will not be covered in the Top Five list. For example, spelling errors demonstrate a lack of attention to detail. You are encouraged to use dictionaries as well as spell checkers when you edit and proofread your own papers.
- We encourage you to continue to polish your communication skills throughout your career by studying, by listening, by editing your own work, and by paying attention to changes in the language in the years to come.
Business Writing Format Tips
- Purdue Online Writing Lab (OWL)
- WRITING RESCUE GUIDE FOR COLLEGE STUDENTS: Style Guides, Tips & Expert Advice on Essays, Papers & College Applications
- The Associated Press Stylebook
- The Chicago Manual of Style
- online writing sites such as Grammarly
- online dictionaries such as Webster's
- Brief Descriptions and Examples of the The Top Five Tips
- EAGLE Editing Checklist
- Explanation of Terms
- More Information about Irregular Verbs
- TTU Faculty Tips for Professional Communication
- Business Vocabulary (or see GrammORNot example below)
Thanks to Nancy Alexander and the English Department of Methodist University, Fayetteville, NC, for giving us permission to adapt their Dirty Dozen online tutorial.
The helpful critters in this app want you to understand commonly misused words. Your mission, if you choose to accept it, is to select the sentence with the correct usage of the commonly misused word. Incorrect answers will lower your overall score. Follow onscreen buttons to move through the app, and as always, may the grammar odds be ever in your favor!